Shelf Pin Cutout?

wwian

New User
Ian Worthington
Hey Folks!

I'm working on some adjustable shelves for my son's desk. I have the Kreg jig to drill the pin holes. But I want to add a "cutout" (like in the photo below) in the bottom of each shelf for it to rest on the pin to try to stop them from sliding out. Any suggestions on how to go about that?

XnqEHQU.jpg

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Put a round nose router bit in your router table and set the fence to the distance from the centerline of the pin to the edge of your work and make a stop a bit longer than the length of the pin. Once you have that set up you can make all the cuts in one direction and simply flip the end stop to cut the other from the opposite side.

1579048304373.png

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Stationary router with a fence. Use an appropriate diameter bit and set the fence to depth. Mark the fence or use a stop to register the cutout and hold the shelf vertically to the fence. Swing the shelf into the bit and back out. Repeat for the other pin.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Put a round nose router bit in your router table and set the fence to the distance from the centerline of the pin to the edge of your work and make a stop a bit longer than the length of the pin. Once you have that set up you can make all the cuts in one direction and simply flip the end stop to cut the other from the opposite side.

View attachment 191215

I hope that made sense!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
The only negative would be that you'd have rounded ends on the grooves due to the shape of the bit. If you're finicky about that and you want it square you could clamp two shelves together and use a doweling jig and simply drill along the centerline. That leaves two grooves.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Stationary router with a fence. Use an appropriate diameter bit and set the fence to depth. Mark the fence or use a stop to register the cutout and hold the shelf vertically to the fence. Swing the shelf into the bit and back out. Repeat for the other pin.
Put two stops on fence to locate shelf. With shelf flat on table, plunge one in and do both sides on one end, then reset fence stops and do other end. This thread reminded me I have some shelves in a storage unit that needs doing

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
If you use the right shelf pins and your shelves are not too loose, the pins cannot slide out.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
The reason I suggested the method I did was to avoid a rounded end to the recess, which can be avoided if a square end bit of the proper size is used.

medic

New User
john
Try the widgetco.com they have all types of shelf pine flat and found also have all sorts of plugs service is great

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS