She hums but she won't spin - UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I haven't turned anything in the last couple of months due to it beng so hot. The lathe was working fine when I last used it. Today, all it will do is hum. I checked the belt, blew out the capacitor with compressed air but no luck. Any ideas? It is a HF 34706 that I have had for 6 years with no problems in the past other than replacing the belt once.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Re: She hums but she won't spin

can you give it a spin by hand to get it started? sounds like start capacitor but?????????????????

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart

Fred, I can spin it by hand but it doesn't turn when I stop.

Rob

New User
Rob

Mine did that, it was the motor, took it to a motor shop, they checked it out, would have cost me more then I paid for the lathe to re-wind. Luckly it was two months after purchasing so was able to take it back.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Stuart, same thing happened to me. Bad motor. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: Don't worry, I'm not going to rant. :gar-La;

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

I think you can get replacement motors from harbor fright but if it were me I would look into a better brand motor. the shaft is probably metric [just to throw another wrench in the mix] so it may be time to get that mustard monster you know you want!:rotflm: I have a small motor out in the shop that you could get if it will work. PM me a pick and measure the pertinent parts. I'll take a look.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member

Have you tried writing down the words so she'll have them?? :rotflm:

I know I know.....
:eusa_naug

jhreed

New User
james

If you purchase a new standard motor and the old motor had a metric shaft. If the pulley has a bushing, you can purchase a pulley bushing to fit the new motor shaft. Otherwise you can purchase a new pulley also. small pulleys like that are cheap.
James

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart

I spent some time this morning tinkering with the motor. I had tried turning it by hand to see if it would start and it wouldn't. Then I removed the belt so there was less tension and tried turning it again. It started turning very slowly and didn't speed up. I switched it off and on again and gave it a spin and it started spinning at full speed. So, is it the capacitor or the centrifugal switch?

randwool

New User
Randy
I thought it humorous that the ad at the top of the page right now was for a run cap. Substitution would be the simplest thing to try if you had another one available.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

I spent some time this morning tinkering with the motor. I had tried turning it by hand to see if it would start and it wouldn't. Then I removed the belt so there was less tension and tried turning it again. It started turning very slowly and didn't speed up. I switched it off and on again and gave it a spin and it started spinning at full speed. So, is it the capacitor or the centrifugal switch?

Mine does the same thing. I've already swapped out the cap it it didn't work. Haven't made the time to look at the switch yet. In another thread that I started a while back ago Bob Vaughn had some good info about the switch...

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showpost.php?p=314344&postcount=7

Travis

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
you got it to fire up but did it have any torque? try stopping it and see if it is like it used to be or easily stopped. if it runs strong it is prolly the centrifugal switch. if not it is prolly the windings and you'll need to get a motor.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
I bought a $7.52 capacitor today and that solved the problem. Thanks to all for their input. Now to reinstall the belt. That's not as easy as one might think when dealing with a Reeves drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS