Sharpening workshop JULY 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Based on the latest head count, it looks like we have 8 participants. That means we have room for a couple more if anyone is interested.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Mike, I utilized what you taught me yesterday and put some scarry sharp edges on knifes and such... I also got several of my sons interested and showed them what you taught me.

To anyone on the fence about attending one of Mike's sharpening workshops - just do it... You will gain a valuable skill that you will use for the rest of your life I can promise you that.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Re: Sharpening workshop?

Please remove my name from the list. I won't be able to make the workshop due to a scheduling conflict.
Thanks!

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member

Bill,
Put me down if you still have a spot. No pizza.
Thanks.
bobby g

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy

It looks like the NCWW BOD meeting may be held on the 11th. It isn't finalized yet, so I don't know the details. I may not be able to attend or I may have to leave early. I will let you know as soon as I know the details. I am hoping I can still make the 1st half of the sharpening workshop.

Jeremy

ednl

ed
Senior User
Mike - or Bill... If there is still room, may I attend this event ? I'm not a very active member of the forum, but I have been reading posts for a few years.

Thanks - ed

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mike - or Bill... If there is still room, may I attend this event ? I'm not a very active member of the forum, but I have been reading posts for a few years.

Thanks - ed

Glad to have you Ed. I'll be sending out directions and other info later this week.

Incidentally, we still have room for a couple more if anyone else would like to join in.

ednl

ed
Senior User
Mike... Bill... thanks for including me... looking forward to it... will bring my lathe tools and the infamous card scraper !!! I have watched every video on YouTube but still not hitting the sweet spot. I hope you get a good night's rest so you have the patience to knock some learning into this impenetrable mass I carry atop my shoulders!!

ed
p.s. I'm in for pizza and especially dog petting.

ednl

ed
Senior User
Big THANK YOU to Mike for his incredible patience and instruction. I used to think "real men" were born with certain innate skills like painting, chain-sawing, hammering, and sharpening. But it wasn't until I became an "old" man I realized it weren't so. It's also true that the more you learn the more you realize you need to learn. I'm working on it. And thanks to Mike my card scraper is making shavings now instead of dust.

Another big THANK YOU to Bill for hosting this class in his amazing shop. To compare my shop to Bill's just visualize a 14 ft boston whaler motoring past the USS Enterprise !! The only thing my shop has in common is the lack of windows.

Super people, both of them. Talented, gracious, and generous. One with hair, the other without! Great ambassadors for NCWW. Thanks again for helping me appreciate the difference between sharp enough and really sharp.

ed

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Big THANK YOU to Mike for his incredible patience and instruction. I used to think "real men" were born with certain innate skills like painting, chain-sawing, hammering, and sharpening. But it wasn't until I became an "old" man I realized it weren't so. It's also true that the more you learn the more you realize you need to learn. I'm working on it. And thanks to Mike my card scraper is making shavings now instead of dust.

Another big THANK YOU to Bill for hosting this class in his amazing shop. To compare my shop to Bill's just visualize a 14 ft boston whaler motoring past the USS Enterprise !! The only thing my shop has in common is the lack of windows.

Super people, both of them. Talented, gracious, and generous. One with hair, the other without! Great ambassadors for NCWW. Thanks again for helping me appreciate the difference between sharp enough and really sharp.

ed
Mike Davis is the man - he taught me much and I'm thankful to him beyond words

Never do anything during the day that will keep you awake at night

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Let me add my thanks; it was a great day from start to finish! Great venue and we couldn't ask for better teachers. I ended up with 2 sets of sharp chisels, 3 sharp plane irons and 2 very sharp kitchen knives. Mike really scored big complements from Sandra on the knives! The plane iron from the LN #4-1/2 bit me pretty good yesterday while putting the plane back together... shows you the difference in the before and after right away. :gar-BiNow, I've got to stick with it (sharpening) on a regular basis! Thanks Mike and Bill... your relaxed teaching styles are perfect. So nice of you to share your time and resources with yet another bunch from NC Woodworkers.net

bobby g

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Sounds like you 2 hit a home run. Congrats guys on a great day. Ya'll had a couple of great instructors

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
Bill & Mike outdid themselves Sat. just handling all the tools I brought to the sharpening workshop. They sharpened a draw knife, a 2" timber frame chisel, a 1 1/8' in chanel gouge, 2 router plane blades, a shoulder plane blade, took the corners off two other plane blades and put a 1:8 radius on a jackplane blade to make it into a scrub plane. And I ate pizza. Thanks guys!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Finally got a few pics from the workshop loaded. Sorry if I didn't get everyone's pic that was there. But you know you were there. Right? :wwink:

IMG_1010.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors