Sharpening Skew Chisel - Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golfgypsy

New User
Roy
Whenever I read about sharpening chisels - they suggest the use of a magic marker on the chisel so you can see where the grinding wheel is removing the metal. You adjust until you have full coverage - and then grind away, replicating the angle.

So what do you do when you've (me especially) ruined the original angle? I do have an angle gauge (see picture below). Is it as simple as grinding the chisel until it fits into the 25 degree slot??

bh19585.jpg

Thanks,

Roy

jimwill48

James
The original angle of the skew is not real important it can be greater or less as long as it's some what close or its what suits your way of using. I've never grind to the some predefined exact angle but set the angle to suit my needs and the way I turn.

I've freehand ground skews with an 8" grinder and a belt sander. I now use the Wolverine skew sharpening jig for my normal skews. After I get a nice edge, I then hone with a diamond stone for 4 or 5 honing's before I need to resharpen on the grinder. After saying all this, I still hate skews but for some uses are a necessity evil.

James

sawduster

New User
Robert
I just take mine to Fred's house :gar-La;

he's good at fixing my sharpening missteps ( which are numerous ) and once he has it right again it is much easier to keep it that way with a stone . Dressing it lightly but frequently makes it last a lot longer . I tend to get the angles all screwed up when I try to grind it myself but I figure there is no better way to learn
I use my skew a lot and the more I use it the more I like it .....especially when it is nice and sharp :eusa_danc

tjgreen

New User
Tim
So what do you do when you've (me especially) ruined the original angle? I do have an angle gauge (see picture below). Is it as simple as grinding the chisel until it fits into the 25 degree slot??

Roy

Well, after I ruined the original angle on mine, yeah, it was pretty much as simple as regrinding it until I got the right angle. Or in this case, bringing it to my brother, who knows what he's doing and didn't burn the steel.

If you want to learn to sharpen free-hand, you might do what I did - go to Harbor Freight and get the ridiculously cheap set of chisels (I think it's $10). They're awful, but great for learning to sharpen without ruining your good chisels. If you've been reading about it you probably know this, but it's easier if your wheel is running as slow as possible.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
The original angle of the skew is not real important it can be greater or less as long as it's some what close or its what suits your way of using. I've never grind to the some predefined exact angle but set the angle to suit my needs and the way I turn.

I've freehand ground skews with an 8" grinder and a belt sander. I now use the Wolverine skew sharpening jig for my normal skews. After I get a nice edge, I then hone with a diamond stone for 4 or 5 honing's before I need to resharpen on the grinder. After saying all this, I still hate skews but for some uses are a necessity evil.

James
I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that hates a skew. I just can't get the hang of it. I've read that regrinding the botton half into a radius helps. Any body know if it does?

Rob

New User
Rob
Yes, regrinding the bottom half round does help, also raising your tool rest, so your cutting a little higher. I sharpen mine using the one way jig, enough to get a hollow ground on them, then finish and touch ups with a fine diamond plate. I mostly use the larger skew, smaller one being used mostly for V cuts and beads. I finish all my pens with a skew, less sanding. Personally the skew is one of my favorite chisels, once you get the sharpness, and the feel, it's a joy to watch the shavings come off leaving a smooth finish.

I recommend this DVD, http://www.woodcentral.com/videos/lacer_skew.shtml

It's a great show on how to use a skew chisel.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I only use the marker and freehand method for gouges. I have a WorkSharp, so I flat grind. I use the support bar and hold it at a reference point and touch it to a consistent spot on the disc using the top surface of the WorkSharp (you do the marker trick on the underside with the slotted abrasives). I use the skew a *lot*, but I most turn small spindle stuff. When it is sharp and used just right, it eliminates the need to sand.

Gunslinger

New User
Mike
A second big thumbs-up for Alan Lacers The Skew Chisel: The Dark Side / The Sweet Side.
Alan goes through all (?) of the problems which occur and shows you what went wrong and why (by purposely getting catches, skates, etc).
Yes, he does talk about grinding the curve and uses one which is curved, however, he states it is fine to start out with it just ground straight.
It’s a little pricey but worth it. Of course it is quick and easy to resell it here in the "classified" forum.
Mike

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
"skates" ? :rolf: No, I don't wonder what they are, I just never heard them described as that before. great way to describe them. Come a little too far around on a bead with the bevel angle off and it's Gretsky on a breakaway.

"I did that on purpose; it's a new technique called high speed sparse grooved thread chasing" :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS