Sharpening Service List?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I have 4 sets of planer plades I would like to get sharpened. Called Raleigh Saw, no response. Charlotte knife and saw is open, sent email asking about mailing them, waiting on response.
Do we have a list?

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Farris belt & saw in Charlotte 704-527-6166 they WILL answer the phone & will talk to you. No phone answering system here. They pride themselves on being a family operation & treating customers like family.

Pop

DickF

New User
Dick
I'm looking for such services as well, either via mail or in the greater Raleigh area. My history with Raleigh Saw has been hit and miss and the last two times I took things there it was 4 - 6 weeks to get back .:(

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Mailed mine to Charlotte knife and saw today. 7 bucks a blade, we will see when they come back.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I'm looking for such services as well, either via mail or in the greater Raleigh area. My history with Raleigh Saw has been hit and miss and the last two times I took things there it was 4 - 6 weeks to get back .:(

For Raleigh I use Ashcroft Saws and Tools. Excellent service.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
A bit too far for you probably, but Union Grove Saw and Knife, Inc. has been good for me. Call 704-539-4442 and talk to them about mail service. If they have any customers in your area that they service you may be able to get delivery service at that location.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I took a bunch of cutting tools being shaper knives, planer blades, jointer blades and saw blades to “Router bit Service company inc” also routerbitservice.com in High Point NC, yesterday.

We will see how it goes, but they promised two weeks and the facility was very impressive. Out in the country, about the size of my shop but packed with CNC machinery and bustling with activity.

While there, a whole bunch of cutting tools neatly packaged were being loaded into a UPS van, seems like that is all they do. They were also quick to answer the phone when I called before driving down.

Anyway, it was worth a 65 mile motorcycle ride on a pretty day. Quiet roads and I would rather not say how long it took me to get there. No police in sight.

Last edited:

DickF

New User
Dick
For Raleigh I use Ashcroft Saws and Tools. Excellent service.
I'll certainly check them out sometime this summer. I have one or two blades that are starting to act a little dull.

I took a bunch of cutting tools being shaper knives, planer blades, jointer blades and saw blades to “Router bit Service company inc” also routerbitservice.com in High Point NC, yesterday.
I'd like to hear what you think of Router Bit Service Company when you get your tools back. I get over that way fairly regularly and could be a convenient spot.

I'm keeping a list of these sharpening services in case the question comes up again. :)

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Just for info, Raleigh Saw just came back to me. Kevin apparently had an issue with his voice mail.

Did a good job selling their service and they pick up and deliver for a $4 fee and the cover my area.
I may give them a shot as well.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I use Dynamic in Buffalo. Excellent work, and prices. To use either Raleigh Saw, or Ashcrofts, I have to drive about an hour and a half each way, twice (drop off and pick up.) That's a total of six hours, plus the gas. For $17.95 I can use USPS flat rate box, and ship 75 pounds of blades to Dynamic. Return shipping is about the same. Precision Saw out of Polkton does some pick up in this area.

Kelly

Kelly
User
The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, and a major sponsor of this forum, offers this service, but they farm it out. A guy comes by every so often , picks up blades left to be sharpened and delivers them back in a few days.
I have used this service and I have been very pleased.

DickF

New User
Dick
The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville
The folks there told me they offered that when I was there last. I'm glad you mentioned it as I get by there every now and then (or did before lock down) and was thinking about giving them a try.

To give them a plug, it's a great place to pick up some lumber at a reasonable price in the area.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Received my blades and I am satisfied with the results. Charlotte Knife called and requested my payment. When I asked about the return shipping cost, she explained because it was going to a residence and not a business the cost was higher. 10 bucks higher. I asked if she could send them to my work address would that reduce the cost? She politely told me that she would check. Received them yesterday at work, and also was given a discount because I am law enforcement. Didn’t ask for any consideration because of that, I never do. All said and done, $20 off the bill. So I give them a thumbs up on service. She went the extra step to save me on the shipping.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Just got all my stuff back from Router bit Service company inc

Looks OK, apparently they have been in High Point for over 50 years. Seems a bit pricey, but I have no idea of what others charge.

Interesting, years back I purchased a new 10" X 80T Forest Cross cut blade, took it out of the package and one tooth was brazed on completely sideways. So I put it back in its cardboard shipping sleeve, never used it and somehow completely forgot about it. Gave it to these folks to repair and they replaced the crooked tooth, plus another three teeth which were not in the correct position brazed on the blade.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
My 13 inch planer blades were $7.00 a piece to sharpen. Reasonable when a new set of 3 is $60.00

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
Boston tool and saw in Hickory does great sharpening and retoothing. 3rd generation business.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS