Sharpening Service at Klingspor's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
So, I stopped into the Raleigh Klingspor's today to drop off my planer and jointer knives for sharpening. I should have called to check their prices before I drove over there.

They are asking something like $1.29 per lineal inch for knife sharpening. To get my knives sharpened (3 - 15" planer & 3 - 6" jointer) was going to be $81.00. I almost passed out when the guy at the counter told me my total. I told him very quickly to cancel the order.

I can buy all new knives for just a little more. I came home and did a little checking around and found out that Raleigh Saw will sharpen all 6 knives for about $25.50.

I'm all for supporting the site sponsors, but the price difference was a little, OK a lot, too rich for my blood.

Anyone know anything good, or bad, about Raleigh Saw?

Last edited:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I use Raleigh Saw for my table saw blades and Jointer/planer blades.
Just got some back infact.
They are allot cheaper than what you just posted for sure.
Just to give you an idea 19" Planer Knifes (3) 5.50
10" 40T Carbide Table Saw blade 13.00.

Hope this helps

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Matt,

I've had good luck with Raleigh Saw on both planer and TS blades. Good quality and reasonable prices.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have used Raleigh Saw several times. I was very happy with the price, quality and turn around.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
You know, now that I've been thinking about it, I'll bet that Klingspor is probably using Raleigh Saw and acting as a middle man. Raleigh Saw is only a little way up Capital Blvd from them.:eusa_thin

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
The last time I was in Klingspors (several months ago as I don't get to Raleigh often), the guy at the counter said they had pick-up sharpening service from Raleigh Saw. He didn't mention any mark-up, but I would suspect there is a charge for the pick-up/delivery back to the store, and probably for the fee collection.

Go

Ronnie Bass

New User
lawdog
:icon_thumCan someone tell me where I can find blades for a sears jointer model number 103.21820 (an oldie)? I also need directions or address to Raleigh saw. Thanks in advance

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
:icon_thumCan someone tell me where I can find blades for a sears jointer model number 103.21820 (an oldie)? I also need directions or address to Raleigh saw. Thanks in advance

If you have the originals, measure them and check around for a replacement. 4 3/8 inch knives are available from Freud but not sure they'll fit (need the width and thickness):
http://www.freudtools.com/p-295-high-speed-steel-industrial-planer-jointer-knives.aspx

Sears may still have them.
Part number 9-2291

Here's the original owner's manual:
http://www.owwm.com/pubs/222/2176.pdf

Please give us an intro. Welcome to NCWW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors