Sharpening planner blades

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Any tips or tricks? Mine are dull and have a nick or two that I need to get out.

Or should I just replace?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I sharpen mine by hand on diamond stones. You could make a jig to hold them but I never did. Have done up to 20 inch blades this way. My 13 inch blades take about 20 minutes.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Consider sending them out.
Its hard to beat a man at his own game and the sharpening shops have fantastic equipment to get a sharp edge very straight.
The sharpening service I use, Jamison's, has a sharpening machine that cost six figures. When I get my knives back I can shave my arm with them.

Very thin knives may be easy to sharpen without a big grinding machine.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I successfully sharpened the 10 inch blades of my old AP-10 shortly after getting it. The guy who sold it to me thought it didn't work anymore and didn't know what was wrong. When I Iooked at the blades I knew what was wrong. They looked like they'd never been sharpened. About as sharp as a butter knife. So I used my Worksharp 3000 on them without any special jig. Worked well. I later replaced them, temporarily, with a spare set I bought before sharpening the originals and the spare set seems to be softer steel. I like the ability to sharpen the blades, saves some not insignificant money.

junquecol

Bruce
User
For me, it's wrap them up good, insert in a Flat Rate Box, and mail them to Dynamic saw. There is a jointer knife sharpening jig in the classifieds right now, FYI

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
What kind of planer? It depends on the planer and size of knives. On smaller planers its only a little more expensive to buy new ones.

For me, with 20" x 4 knives its is too expensive to buy a new (decent) set of knives. The cost to have them done is not worth me sharpening myself, even though I have a sharpener and a jig.

I'm going the same way with my mower blades next year. For $5 a piece, I'm not doing them myself anymore.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
What kind of planer? It depends on the planer and size of knives. On smaller planers its only a little more expensive to buy new ones.

For me, with 20" x 4 knives its is too expensive to buy a new (decent) set of knives. The cost to have them done is not worth me sharpening myself, even though I have a sharpener and a jig.

I'm going the same way with my mower blades next year. For $5 a piece, I'm not doing them myself anymore.
Can you post the contact info for the place you send them?

Thanks!

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
The planner is a Griz G1017. 12.5" blades.

I sharpened them myself. They were nicked pretty bad so I ground them out with my slow speed water wheel. Then to the diamond stones and went to work.... freehand. I probably should have made a jig but I know how to sharpen and I was lazy today.

Took about 30 minutes and I had them sharp. Are they professional sharp... No. Are they sharp... Yes.

If I had a spare set I would have sent these off just to see the result.

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS