Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingRon

Ron
I used oil stones and ceramic stones for years and then switched to diamond for a while which I still use for some quick touch up. I got a Worksharp when HD inadvertantly put them all on clearance and after some consternation on their part decided to honor the "clearance" price (something like $70 if I recall). I also got a discount on a Ridgid belt sander in the process which was their consolation they gave initially when they decided initially not to honor the website price.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
#4 at this time, I have plenty of time to get it right so I don't mind the slow but scary sharp method.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I use a Worksharp 3000 equipped with diamond lapping disks from Kent on Amazon.com. I adhere them to glass WS disks using 3M spray-on adhesive and they work like a charm for both chisels and plane irons. I have a wide blade attachment for my plane blades over 2" and a swing arm attachment for touching up carving gouges.

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
WS to flatten backs, grinder to change angles that are touched up on the WS,
diamond stones and strop for routine maintenance

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
3,4,&6. But in a pinch I'll just grab a flat file. It may not give the keenest edge, but it beats cutting with a chisel that's not as sharp as some screwdrivers I have. :D

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Mostly 4 but, if in a hurry, 6.

Edit:

But since the poll was edited, my preference is 5 but if in a hurry, 7.

In case of further edits, my choice is Scary Sharp first and Work Sharp if in a hurry.

Last edited:

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Yes, I was forced to again correct the list of choices, for which I am embarrassed and apologize. There is no need whatsoever to correct any of the input prior to this post. I have adjusted the tabulation for the varying numbered choices. Thank you all for your input to date! This is yielding some interesting, but not all-that surprising results. I hope the input keeps coming. More data will produce better information.

Ed

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Makita electric water stone horizontal wet sharpening machine, with occasional diamond stones on Forstner and router bits.

JeffH

Jeff
Senior User
#8 (combination) -- first a few grades of wet sanding and then finishing up with water stones 4000 and 8000. Not sure I'm satisfied with that setup, though -- more experimenting to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS