Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
SHARPENING PREFERENCE POLL (edited / corrected)

To satisfy my own curiosity, which of the following best describes your primary, go-to method of fine sharpening of chisels and plane irons? If there are sufficient responses, I will post the results.

1. Oil stones
  2. Water Stones
  3. Ceramic stones
  4. Diamond plates
  5. Sandpaper on a reliably flat surface
  6. Tormek or Tormek clone system
  7. Work Sharp system
  8. Some combination of the above
  9. I avoid the use of edge tools because effective sharpening is a black art
  10. I outsource the sharpening on my hand tools
  11. Other – Please specify

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a couple different belt grinders I use along with DMT diamond plates.

Last edited:

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
It looks like the OP has tweaked the poll a bit and changed some for the numbers.....and it changed my response.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
4 Sandpaper (although not necessarily on a 'reliably' flat surface)
for both normal chisels and plane irons, as well as for lathe chisels (on my stationary disk sander with a homemade Ellsworth type gouge jig)

Henry W

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I use

4, 6, strop, buffing wheel and compound and diamond paste on maple strop when on the road.

After edit by OP
I use Diamond plates

Last edited:

bbrown

Bill
User
Leather strop for 95% of my sharpening (just frequently touch up with a few quick strokes).

Japanese water stones about once every 6 weeks.

I just bought an Extra-Extra Fine (8000 grit) DMT Diamond plate ($80)- that might enable me to only use my Japanese stones every 2-3 months. Grinding is almost never needed. I have to drop a chisel and get a big nick before I use my grinder.

--Bill

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I've tried several methods, and I need someone to show me how to use things like stones and grinders effectively, but my one way that works is scary-sharp...sandpaper on plate glass.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
8" grinder with wolverine guide for lathe tools
Workshop 3000 for chisels I have mistakingly taken to work and I get them back looking more like screwdrivers. Workshop does a good job of getting them back in service

For everything else I use a Richard Kell guide and diamond plates from DMT

I hone on a strop made from mdf with chromium oxide powder milled at .5 micron

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
7 (3 + 4) Diamond plates first to 1200gr, with finish on wet-dry paper (2000gr) on a granite block (scary sharp method). Prior to purchasing the diamond plates, I used mainly wet-dry paper.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS