Sharpening lube

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Just wondering what cutting fluid everyone uses on their whet stones.

Having switched to DMT DiaSharp diamond plates (from wet/dry paper on granite)for most of my tool sharpening, I was using a water/dish soap mixture. The problem with it is that if there is any oil at all on the chisel or plane blade, it quickly turns into a grey gooey mess, so I have to scrub the stones. Watching a Paul Sellers video, I noticed he uses glass cleaner. So, having some windshield washer fluid available, tried that. Bad idea. Quickly turned the stones brown with rust (while I was sharpening!!). Into the sink with a slurry of Barkeeps Friend, and stones were soon clean again. Found out that ammonia free Glass Plus, Windex, etc, does work well without the rust issue, but still have some issues when I pick up a blade with oil on it.

So knowing that both kerosene (also diesel fuel), and mineral spirits make good cutting fluid, was wondering how widespread their use is for sharpening I am a little leery about using a combustible liquid in my wood shop (although I use it in my concrete floored garage on the metal drill press). Either would solve the water/oil goo problem, but result in any rags, paper towels, etc needing to go into the metal can until disposal, as well as the smell can get strong in a warm shop.

For my Arkansas stones, I usually use WD-40 or a light oil, but don't use them nearly as often as the DiaSharps.

So, for those not using waterstones, what is your go-to sharpening fluid?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User

Same here.
I've used lots hyped "sharpening oils" over the years and I've gravitated to WD-40 for convenience. Its thin enough to penetrate and washes the surface of the stone.

No water stones ever.

Years back I was given three 12" DMT diamond stones to test and was told I could keep them. I sent them back after the tests as I found them lacking for speed and sharpness compared to the other oil type stones I had.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
light cutting fluid for the diamond stones - flattening and final sharpening before polishiong and stropping
Mineral oil/naptha mix for the oil stones - setting the edge
Water stones ......... water - these I use to hog in the face and shape
Stropping to finalize the supersharp edge

awldune

Sam
User
Allan Little aka AskWoodMan recommends Simple Green diluted 1:1 with water for DMT stones. Works great for me and I haven't had any reason to try other fluids.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I use window cleaner. Other types of cleaners like 409 also work. Subjectively it seems to me like the stones cuts better than oil. No smell and clean up is easier. I've found if I dry the stones off well rust is not an issue, but the stones can be coated with WD40 after each use.

I've also tried oil lamp fluid in place of kerosene. I think maybe it is kerosene?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have several DMT DuoSharp stones and a few Norton ceramic stones. I only use water on either one and clean them with water and a DNA rinse after each use. I've never had a rust issue because I clean the metal filings from the stone after using.

From the DMT FAQs
  1. I know it says to use the sharpener dry or with water, but can I use oil anyway? Can I store my DMT stone in kerosene?
    DMT recommends you use DMT products dry or with water only. Although mineral oil or WD40 will not harm the DMT products, they can impede sharpening if used in excess and can damage the sharpener overtime if not properly cleaned/removed from the sharpener. DMT recommends that you always wipe your Diamond Sharpeners clean and store dry after use.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I've been experimenting.

Also was wondering if anybody ever paid attention to what I said...

The trend stones require use of their lube, I use it on their stones. Trying other stuff on other stones.

I like the idea of mixing my own gallon for the cost of a small spray can or two little squirt bottles.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I've been experimenting.

The trend stones require use of their lube, I use it on their stones. Trying other stuff on other stones.

I like the idea of mixing my own gallon for the cost of a small spray can or two little squirt bottles.

I noticed in another thread that you said you were experimenting. Is there a particular reason you ended up cutting the mineral oil with turpentine instead of MS or Naptha? Odor, residue, performance, flammability? Reducing the viscosity of mineral oil is something I have been considering, but MS and Naptha both have a more disagreeable odor (IMHO). I hadn't considered turpentine.

Do you use the same mix on your hand tools to combat rust, or lube the plane sole?

By the way, I for one definitely pay attention to what you post. Guess I need to use the "like" button more often now that its available.

Lhloy

New User
Larry
I use DMT 'stones' and have tried many lubricants over the years. Almost anything is better than dry, for my personal preference. But I have settled on 50-50 baby oil and mineral spirits. This gives me the viscosity I want. The baby oil is mineral spirits (with fragrance), very cheap from the dollar store. I use a soft plastic 'squirt' bottle to wet the stone when I begin. I wipe the plates clean with a dry paper towel when I'm done, and store store them dry. I have good results with this.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I would not want to cover any living body, especially an infant, with MINERAL SPIRITS!

I am using Bora 'HoneRite Gold" as an additive for my water stones, but it too is an irritant-so no babies!

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've used DMT stones for several years, and have used Simple Green exclusively and had great service from it. It's bio-degradable and doesn't cause rust on the stones. Give it a try!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Likewise. I posted my reply #12 above with the lubricant recommendations from DMT for their diamond stones---basically dry or using plain water. A few precautions also. It's worked for me for several years and I've never experimented with oil, WD40, or other lubricants.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors