Sharpening Gouges and Skews

Pdkennelly

New User
Parley
Anyone near Garner/Clayton that would be willing to teach/show/coach hands-on sharpening of gouges and skews? I have a bunch of tools, and I've sharpened them by hand ( I don't have a bench grinder). I'm Youtube taught, so I'm looking for a mentor, that's close by. I also bought a ShopFox 1/2" bowl gouge that I haven't used yet because I want to make sure it's sharpened right the first time.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I thought you would have two or three offers by now.

if no one steps up, I know it’s a long drive, but I can show you how I sharpen mine.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Parley I too was trying to avoid buying a bench grinder for a long while for space and mess considerations. But I was spending about five times more time sharpening (no exaggeration) than I was turning. Your turning tools don't need to be mirror finish sharp like a hand plane, but they need to be constantly (= minimum one sharpening per turning session) touched up to keep them sharp enough. IMO you just gotta buy a $30 grinder off of CL and get a fine wheel for it.

Pdkennelly

New User
Parley
@Mike Davis
I appreciate it. I've seen that you offer classes, too. It is a bit of a drive up to your place.

@marinosr
I know I'll have to buy a bench grinder, then all the accessories, and wheels, and jigs, and sheesh turning isn't cheap. But, I would still be looking for some hands-on coaching, so all the money isn't wasted.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS