Sharp Tools / Shop Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod

New User
Rod
I sucked it up and bought the Tormek...sharpened all the chisels to a razor sharp mirror finish. RAZOR SHARP! Last Wednesday I used the 1" chisel to cut a piece off the bottom of a bowl I turned for my wife...but DIDN'T use proper clamping/chiseling/safety technique.

Friday I was in surgery for a few hours having an artery, a nerve and 2 tendons re-attached or sewn back together or whatever they do.

I write you this evening to remind you how important shop safety is. I am, by the way, writing this with only one hand. I have lost feeling and temporary movement in the other...partly due to the splint and wrap of course. Prognosis: good to excellent depending on the healing process, so no long-term worries.

Happy & Safe Woodworking friends,
Rod

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ouch, but it could have been much worse with a dull chisel. You would have been using much more force, and the resulting cut would have been ragged and not easily healed back together. Not that that makes it much easier to take, but sharp tools are safer tools. I am very sorry to hear about your mishap, and hope all heals quick and well. Does your wife still like the bowl??:lol:

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hope you make a full recovery, and soon!

At least you hurt yourself woodworking, I needed several stitches not too long ago because I used a utility knife to cut the cord that holds gloves together....
The irony is that I brought the gloves so I wouldn't injure myself (nails, splinters) during some demolition.

All the best!

Bas.

Rod

New User
Rod
Ouch, but it could have been much worse with a dull chisel. You would have been using much more force, and the resulting cut would have been ragged and not easily healed back together. Not that that makes it much easier to take, but sharp tools are safer tools. I am very sorry to hear about your mishap, and hope all heals quick and well. Does your wife still like the bowl??:lol:

Dave:)

LOL...she will like the bowl I think...once I've cleaned it up abit. Thanks.
Rod

jglord

New User
John
I'll bet that smarts. Its always a surprise to me how quickly a moments brain cramp can cause a tool to turn and bite you. At least it should have been a clean cut - hope it heals quickly and well.

The bowl will always hold a special memory. I'm sure you wife will love when cleaned-up.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Rod,

Hate to hear of anyone hurting themselves, especially doing something like woodworking. Thanks for telling us and helping us to remember to be careful. Here's wishing you a very quick and very full recovery.

Ray

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I know the feeling. Of all the work I've done with the big iron in my shop over the years, knock wood, I've never been hurt. But my chisels have bit me several times. Good luck with the healing.

Rocker

New User
John
Sorry to hear of your accident. At least it was a clean cut. BTW, when I got my Tormek I used it to sharpen our kitchen knives...big mistake. LOML was getting little nicks and cuts all the time from the super sharp knives. I finally had to dull them up to make them safe to use.
Hope you heal well.

sapwood

New User
Roger
A Gloat and a Grimace :eusa_thin
Congrats on the tool acquisition and good luck with the healing process.

Roger

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I hope it all heals properly and works out for you.

Chisels are scarier to me than power tools. I have a tendency to put my hands in the line of fire more easily than say with the tablesaw.

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks for posting the reminder. I hope all heals well and you get full feeling and functionality back.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
BTDT (albeit not as badly): Neosporin is my best friend. Healed a hole (3/8 chisel full depth of bevel into palm of hand) I got about a month ago. DaveO is right: Sharp is good!! Hope all heals well. You can't undo what ya done, but you can learn from it and hopefully not do it again (a bit of "wisdom" from Band-aids best customer!!)
Not one to judge or give advice. When I finish a project LOML ask's if it has blood on it, because that's the only way she is convinced that it is done!!:lol:

Go

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Too bad this isn't one of those situations where we can say "no pictures, didn't happen."

Hope everything heals well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS