Shaper

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I don't know if there is such a thing and I am not sure where to look, so I decided I would ask the experts on this forum. I have an old craftsman shaper and I am wondering if they make an adapter to place a 1/2 inch Collette on the threaded shaft so that router bits can be used? I have a few cutter blades but I think it would be much easier to use router bits.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have a 1990's shaper/router that came w/ 1/4 and 1/2" collets. I use it mostly as a router table. Don't know if they actually make an adapter for a dedicated shaper.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
The problem youll have is those craftsman style shapers (or any shaper really) dont have high enough spindle speeds to use router bits

sandfarm

Joe
User
I have one for my delta shaper and I use it a lot. Speed hasn't been a problem using a slower feed rate.
Using an adapter on a shaper keeps me from needing a router table.

sandfarm

Joe
User
Doing the math. A shaper at 10,000 rpm using a 2 blade router bit has 83 cuts per second and a router at 18,000 rpm has about 100 cuts per second.
You actually feed a shaper slower using any bit (shaper bit or router bit) than you feed a router.
So the router bit works just fine in a shaper.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Doing the math. A shaper at 10,000 rpm using a 2 blade router bit has 83 cuts per second and a router at 18,000 rpm has about 100 cuts per second.
You actually feed a shaper slower using any bit (shaper bit or router bit) than you feed a router.
So the router bit works just fine in a shaper.
its not about spindle RPMs its about tip speed of a MUCH larger cutter diameter.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I am wondering if they make an adapter to place a 1/2 inch Collette on the threaded shaft so that router bits can be used?

The short answer is no, something like that is not made.

It might be possible to make one if you have a metal lathe and a little imagination but the time involved isn't likely worth it for a casual use accessory. A whole new cartridge is likely needed using a 6000 series bearings instead of the 6202 (IIRC) size that sears put in there. Its also likely the height adjusting slot will have to be moved also. Clearly, there's some engineering involved but most of that will be addressing what metal machining resources at hand.

1   searsshaper.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS