Shaper Origin - Is it a Serious Woodworking Tool?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
A CNC machine, Shaper origin and other tech products remove the part of woodworking that I enjoy. Yes these may produce perfect parts but that being the case, it is more about the computer skills than the woodworking. I can purchase furniture at a store that was designed and cut by a computer.
I enjoy figuring out how to build using standard power and hand tools. I am not against tools that make the job easier and less messy ie Festool sanders, jointer and planer vs hand planes but if these activities were enjoyable for me, i would use hand planes and sand by hand

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
The SO is some amazing tech. I enjoyed trying it out and getting a good feel for what it can do. Ultimately I enjoyed the initial setup where you take your cad design and convert it into a file that can be uploaded to the machine. After that you need to spend a lot of time to get your work station just right so the thing will work right. I’m sure it gets better the more you use it, but I didn’t enjoy that part. After getting it setup I found it to be a bit tedious and time consuming to make multiple passes at a slower speed than I’m used to with my 2hp router.

In the end I agree with @cyclopentadiene, it takes some of the satisfaction out of wooodworking…for me. I’m glad this technology has brought joy and interest in wooodworking to others but ultimately I think it’s really cool, but just not what I enjoyed about wooodworking.

I returned the unit and got a bandsaw. Now I’m cranking out the bandsaw Reindeer for Christmas gifts.

Attachments

• 862C8E1D-CF69-4168-A65D-9BDBB13ECAA4.jpeg
    862C8E1D-CF69-4168-A65D-9BDBB13ECAA4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 62

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS