Shamrock Stool Design Experiment #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Folks,

Just thought I'd post this finished design experiment. I like to make 1 version of this stool every year just to play around with proportions and shapes. On this one I was playing around with the ogee shape for the side legs and although I like the side profile, I don't like how "rounded" over the legs look. I think for the next one I'll keep the ogee shape but try to keep with more hard angles with the shaping. Let me know what you think.

And here's the last version for comparison:

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Michael,

I think it's good looking in all respects. I wonder what it would look like if you "softened" the top. What are the dimensions of the piece?

bobby g

MikeH

New User
Mike
I think you did a great job on both of them. I particularly like the dovetails in the lighter one. :icon_thum

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Bobby,

It's roughly 17" l x 12" w x 14"t. Give me some ideas on softening the top. I've got a slight bow both in length and width on the top now, what are your thoughts.

Mike,

This ones got the same dovetails as the 1st one it's just I screwed up when I made this one so I ended up coloring it really dark to hide the epoxy I used to fill some of the mistakes. Even though I don't love the color (I prefer the natural Spanish Cedar look) It's actually kind of cool cause the colors I used are layered a bit so it changes a little from very dark maroon to purple as light hits it.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Greta looking stools!:icon_thum

I especially like the design of the 1st one. To me it seems to have some elements of Sam Maloof (ish) design.

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful stools Mike. :icon_thum Personally, I like the look of the "rounded" legs, and wouldn't change that.

Bill

I think it is just the Dark stain that is making you think it looks heavy..... I like it your work is amazing as always..... your woodworking always points out just how much I suck....

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Nice work! I like the transition from the sharp edges in the top to the soft rounds down below.
If you are feeling like its not quite what you were after, I think you're being too hard on yourself.
Of course, if it bugs you too much to look at, I could find a place for it!

I like your idea to come back and revisit a project. Gives you time to ponder.
If I took the time to ponder I may never build anything.

bwat

New User
Bill
I too like the curves in the legs. Beautiful work:icon_thum If it were a lighter finish I believe it would "show" better.
Are these bandsaw dovetails?

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hey Mike. I think it looks really good. I assume you are talking about the round over on the inside of the legs. Could you mirror the taper on the outside on the legs?

In my head it seems like it would look good!:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Robert

New User
Robert
They both are undobtedly able to hold the eye. I think the darker one holds mine a tad more, must be the curvey legs?
The lighter one appears a bit more stouter.
Still, they both display very fine works of a craftsman at the top of the game.

Great job.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Mike,

The previous version is more pleasing to me. The shapes are well defined, the lines are clean, and the overall balance of the piece looks better to my eye. I don't dislike the latest one, but the legs don't seem to complement the top as well. The rounding has a sculptural look in a piece that tends toward the geometric. The craftsmanship, as I would expect, is superb in both, but you weren't asking about that. ;)

Matt

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Too pretty to use. I have made several stools, but more for functional purposes than beauty, although they are still in use after many years. My in-laws complained the top finish was too slick and put on non-skid tape.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mike, after going back and looking at the stools several times, I really like how the curve on the upper part of the legs extends into a cove on the under side of the top. Two questions: how thick is the top, and how did you cut the cove on the underside of the top?

The more I look at them, and the more details I pick up on, the more impressed I am. Great job on both design and construction. :notworthy:

Bill

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Bill,

As a design experiment your right this one is all about the subtle details. You almost have to see it. The sides are not only shaped on edge but the whole side follows the shallow curve of the top. The top starts out at 1 3/4" thick and after the dovetails are cut I deterimine the radius of the curve and draw it on the side and then just notch it out on the table saw, hit it real quick with an angle grinder to take the ridges out then sand it smooth.

As for the dovetails, these were again full bandsaw dovetails but I made them to tight and during final assembly actually broke the top in three. Now because this is just for design purposes I actually glued it back together filled any significant gaps with epoxy and then reassembled. I wanted to see how bad you could screw something up and make it look like nothing ever happened. The only tell tale signs it was ever broken are the solid epoxy sections in the DT's. Having this opportunity also allowed me to experiment a little with shading and toning, and I was surprised with how deep and rich I was able to get the color without totally obscuring the grain detail. In the end though I do admit that I like the natural look of the spanish cedar much better.

chgorugbyref

Jonathan
Corporate Member
I like 'em both. The latest version has a sinuous sexy edge to it with how the light plays off the curves. The earlier version has a simple practicality to it and would fit nicely in a house decorated with Shaker furniture. I think they'll appeal to different people, but both a nice designs. Well done!
Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS