Shaker style furniture and design

Status
Not open for further replies.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Hey All,

My favorite furniture style to work in is the Shaker style. Most of what I do woodworking related is based on the Shaker style of furniture. I like this style due to its simplicity. The tapered legs, beaded skirts/edges and graceful arches are what makes these pieces beautiful. These features can be used in furniture for both inside and out. Below are just two examples of work that I have done.

The first pic is a cherry sofa table with an oil finish. The second is a cypress bench to be used outside with no finish. This bench was just completed yesterday.

Red

cherry sofa table #3.JPG

IMG_4442.jpg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks Red. Shaker is also my favorite style, for the same reasons you mentioned. But while the outward appearance may look simple, the hidden joinery and construction can be quite detailed and complicated. That's what I like about it.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Is it common to use cypress without finish outside?

Sure. It will weather to a nice gray color. My bench is under a covered porch so it should weather much slower than being out in the elements. Cypress is natures version of pressure treated.

Red

algustaf

New User
Al
I like the simpler lines personally. I like to work mission/arts & crafts style for the same reasons. Simple doesn't always equate to easy either. Nice work on the sofa table.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Very nicely done.
The simpler the appearance the tougher it is to execute.

There's no place to hide your mistakes, or awkward proportions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS