Shaker Step Stool & a New Joint !

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Those of you who were on the Charlotte Crawl saw this WIP on my workbench.
Here's the finished product"
Step1.jpg

Nice huh! But why did he dowel those nice hand cut dovetails???
Well, I'm a pins first guy and the first side came out pretty good.
Half way through the second side I realized I had the board oriented in the same direction as the first board. OOPS......
So........I could have cut them down and made the step 3/4" lower but I decided to continue and build it as is as a reminder to PAY ATTENTION.
As the tails lose all their strength when cut in reverse I decided I needed some additional reinforcement - hence the dowels.
But you know, I kinda like 'em this way :rolleyes:
Rev_D_T_s.jpg

BTW: this project came from Tommy (tChisel) McDonalds' website. Great site - lots of videos - Tommy is a character but check out the stuff he's built :icon_thum
http://www.tchisel.com/index.html

pete

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I remember seeing that on your bench, Man has it took on some changes since then. I like the dovetails with the dowels.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Nice!:icon_thum did ya make a prototype?:widea: I need one of those for the shop and thats WAY too nice for a shop stool. I've been useing a bar stool to climb up on cause all my ladders are in use holding up the overloaded limbs on LOML's peach tree!:gar-La; I havent broke any bones YET but........:eek: maybe I needs ta make one o those.... it looks MUCH safer!:eusa_danc

nelsone

New User
Ed
Love the reverse dovetails!:rolf:

It really does look pretty cool. Nice recovery Pete! Great looking stool too!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Hats off to thats one heck of a step stool.

I too was on the crawl and saw the WIP, the finished product is very nice.

I also commend you for your gracious acceptance of the tail-doves :)

Jim

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Hi Pete, sorry I didn't get to see you or your project during the crawl. I am located on the other side of the state. However, thanks for sharing that beautiful shaker stepstool, beautiful. Makes you want to try my hand at real dovetails. Again, beautiful work.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks for the comments.

Todd - Yes, it's Paduk

Jim -I was thinking of calling them doweled reverse dovetails but I like your name (tail-doves) much better. I'll give you credit when I publish my book on custom joinery. :eusa_danc

pete

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Pete, Very nice. And thanks for the links to the videos. Gotta watch a few more. I think 1 of the stools is in my near future. Love the dovetails!

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I am really, really, really happy to see the bench survived my efforts to destroy it during the Charlotte shop crawl :icon_chee.

It really turned out nice!

T

toolferone

Nice design change! I bet if you did not mention it most people would never notice it. My wifes tells me to stop pointing out all the mistakes I make, especially things I make for her!

It is a nice looking stool!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS