Shaker Dining Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This table was featured on the cover of Fine Woodworking # 193, w/ an article on p. 72. When I showed it to LOML, who had been wanting a Shaker table, she said, “THAT’S IT, EXACTLY!” :icon_thum I made a few slight changes to the plan, but essentially it is a copy of the one in the article.
421.JPG

View image in gallery

The top is 7/8” Cherry and measures 36 x 96”, including the breadboard ends. The base is air dried Walnut from some logs a friend and I harvested in 1995. The table in the article is all Cherry, but I decided to experiment w/ mixed woods, something I’ve been wanting to do lately. I wanted the top to be the main focal point and attention getter, so Cherry works well. At the same time, I wanted the base to be distinctive, but not draw attention away from the top. I’m not sure I succeeded, but as the Cherry ages over time, the contrast should diminish. I tried to match the boards for the top carefully, but w/ the finish applied, I’m not completely satisfied w/ the result.

The finish on the top is 2 coats of 1# dewaxed Shellac, followed by a very light, water soluble, cherry dye, followed by 3 coats of semi-gloss Polyurethane brushed on, then 3 coats of thinned semi-gloss Poly wiped on, and finally a coat of paste wax on the top side only. The Walnut base is finished w/ 3 coats of Amber Shellac, 2# cut.
The project took 4 months, but during that time I also started and completed 3 other projects that “popped up.” If you want to see the entire building process, you can see it here. I tried to document every step of the way, including the special carriage for holding the post. It was the key to getting everything aligned just right. Of course, mistakes were made, but as others on this site have stated so eloquently, “If you have to point them out, they don’t count!” :gar-Bi

[FONT=&quot]Bill[/FONT]

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Absolutely stellar work, Bill.
:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Go

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
beautiful work! that top looks flat as glass.:icon_thum:icon_thum well done.:eusa_clap

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
That is great work. I enjoyed all of the pictures. I liked the pics of trimming the breadboards - I wondered how one did that.

How do you sign your work? It doesn't look like a brand.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Bill that is very nice! I like this style table with no low stretchers to get in the way. And I love the cherry top!
Salem

T

toolferone

It has my vote, with cherry being my favorite wood. It will be even more beautiful in 10 years.

Nice design. What are you going to do for chairs?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work there, Bill!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

I really like leg treatment that you used. Really compliments that great cherry top. Understated elegance at it's best!

Thanks for sharing all of the pictures.

Wayne

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for the very nice comments. You've made my day.

Michael, I use a steel stamp set to sign my work. I have two templates I place on the piece, then stamp each letter/number individually. I thought about using a different method, but I've been doing it this way for over 30 years, so I don't want to change now.

Tom, LOML has found 8 chairs that she likes for this table, so I told her to go ahead and get them. We considered me building them, but couldn't agree on a style I felt comfortable building. That's after looking at over 350 patterns. Besides, she has this notion that it may take me awhile to build 8 chairs. :gar-La;

Thanks again everyone. Bill

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Bill,

To me, the most appealing thing about Shaker design is its simple elegance. One of the problems with that from the standpoint of the maker is that small errors and defects are difficult to hide, so the construction needs to be very well executed. You have accomplished that, and should be rightfully proud. Great job.

Matt

b4man

New User
Barbara
Stunning design! The cherry and walnut combo add's just the right amount of interest without taking away the beautiful figure in the cherry.

Excellent workmanship Bill!

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS