Sewing Center Cabinet (Completed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
My latest project and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel:eusa_danc

Just before X-mas I built my wife a 11' x 14.5" sewing/craft room.
I added onto the end of the house. I know no pics didn't happen.
I promise I'll take some of it shortly.

Well she had to have something to put in it. So our own Bigdog helped me out with a set of plans for a sewing cabinet.

I used some of Jeff's Quarter Sawn Oak. Great stuff as always.
I also used/forced to use Oak ply from Lowes. Don't get me started on how crappy that ply is. But heck down here in fayettenam, there isn't any place to get good ply. A trip to Raleigh for 1 sheet of ply just doesn't seem worth it.

So here are some pics of the Cabinet in various stages.

This is a shot without the doors or the top extensions mounted.

Here is another pic showing the drawers

There are 2 doors mounted with piano hinges

When the doors are open there are 2 top extensions that open up and sit on these locator pins.

the top extensions use these type of hinges. This shows that they are mortised in the tops

Not a real good pic, the color is off but shows the opening in the top and the lift device

another shot

Got to love QS Oak

Next week I should have the final coats off satin finish on everything.
Once assembled I will be sure to take more photos, so you can see it finished.:icon_cheers

As Promised here is the sewing center assembled and in place.

As you can see it will also serve as her computer desk if you would. The sewing machine also gets connected to the puter:roll:
I still have to figure out the routing of all the wiring.:dontknow:
I would love to conceal them. :icon_scra Any sugestions??
Yeah she is spoiled!
New Flat screen TV, new room, new sewing center. But hey she's worth every bit of it.:wink_smil

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Re: Sewing Center Cabinet

Very nice sewing cabinet there. MAC!!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

The amount of oak and ply there; it must weigh a ton!!:swoon::swoon:

It sure won't be moving across the room with all the sewing machine HP inside!!:wsmile:

That is definitely a good sized project and I am sure the LOYL is happy.

Well done!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Wayne

bluewing92

New User
Norm

John, Great job.:icon_thum What did you use for drawer slides? I made the same one a couple of years ago and use used wooden slides.

LOML love it as I’m sure yours will also. It does weight a ton not easy to move around. The machine lift is especially handy for going back and forth from quilting to sewing.

Picture_013.jpg

DaveH

New User
DaveH

Mac,
The sewing station looks great. I made the same one for a customer a few years ago. I added an extension table on the back and also put it on casters (per the customer). Man did I underestimate the amount of time it was going to take to complete that beast!! I posted pictures in my gallery.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Very nice Mac! Great looking panels and drawers, and that sewing machine lift seems to be a pretty good fit. Looks like you got your finishing problems under control, man that really brings out the grain.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster

David, I went and looked at your gallery. Nicely done. Yep it was a time consumer.
Hated having to use Lowes plywood. Next time I won't it'll be all solid.

Hey how did you handle the cutout for the lift? I traced my sewing machine outline onto the top then added 1/8" and cut it out exactly. I was sweating bullets on that one.

Also I like your walnut bed that you did. I did the same one last year out of QS Oak.
Sturdy bed uh?

Last edited:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster

John, Great job.:icon_thum What did you use for drawer slides? I made the same one a couple of years ago and use used wooden slides.

I too used wooden slides, that I then sanded to 400 grit.
After which I really rubbed in a good coat of Wax. Man the drawers slap in there with just a gently push.
I hope they keeping working like that even with weight.

I might have to replenish the wax every so often.

b4man

New User
Barbara

Mac,

Your wife is one lucky gal:icon_thum
The sewing cabinet is just beautiful and having it custom made by you for her
is totally awesome.

I can't wait to see it finished and set up in her room.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clapbarbara

DaveH

New User
DaveH

Mac,
I failed to mention in my previous post that I too had to use the BORG ply. About two weeks after I delivered the piece to the customer, she called me back and the top had a slight bow in it. I took it off and rebuilt another out of some more BORG ply that was relatively flat. I took it back and reinstalled and explained that I couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again. I told her if it did, then I would make a solid top. Never got a call. On the opening for the sewing machine, I took her sewing machine and used it as a template to outline the cutout.
Nice job!!
Dave

ChuckC

New User
Chuck

Great job Mac...that will look awesome in that addition you built! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member

Mac,

It looks great.

When I built one a couple years ago for LOML, I cut the top opening as a rectangle larger than the sewing machine. I then rabbeted 1/4" deep x 1/4 wide around the top opening. When I set the machine down in the lift to where the arm was flush with the top, I cut 1/4" plexiglass to fit around the machine and rest in the rabbeted lip. It has worked great, as her old machine quit on her, then she had a loaner, and I bought her a new one for Xmas. All I've had to do is replace the plexiglass and adjust the lift for each machine.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS