Septic with pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
This kind of goes along with my other post about expensive hobbies, kinda.

The place we are looking to buy has a pump with the septic system. This is something I am no fimiliar with. Any opinions on this type of setup and what problems might I face?

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
You'll replace the pump about every 5-6 years, based on my experience. And that's from an office environment that has had few/none distaff users of the facilities.

Also, make sure there is an inside audible warning wired to a high poo-water float in the tank.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Here in NC, if it is a LPP system, then you have to have a certified operator (about $300 a year) to inspect system. If it is only a lift to a distribution box, then the certified operator isn't required. Call the local health dept and ask them about the existing system.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
We have a pump fed septic system in Chatham co. We have a great slope, but because of the number of bedrooms - not bathrooms, we have to have a pump fed system. We have been here five years with no problems. In fact we had an inspection last year with 0" of sludge (she said she had never seen such a good system after five years). My parents have a pump fed system because their tile field is uphill. You may want to find out why they had to install a pump fed system, but I don't think it is a big deal.

Amy

sediener

New User
Steve
Ours is set up with a pump up to a distribution box with a high level alarm. The only thing I would recommend is that you make sure the pump and alarm are on their own circuit. I think by code external plugs have to be gfci and our pump (and alarm) is on the same circuit as all the outdoor outlets. This causes problems when you trip the gfci and don't know it... I might need to replace it with one of those gfci's that buzzes when tripped.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS