Septic problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Ya'll I need to know if I need to worry about this: My field is overly wet and doesn't seem to be drying and there is a slight oil slick on it. What do I need to do?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Have a septic company or plumber check for even the slightest leaking toilet. DAMHIKT Just went through the same thing. A slight toilet run can flood a drain field, and once it is flooded it is easily added to with naturally occurring things such as rain etc.

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
With as dry as we've been your drain field should not be wet. I would look to having your tank pumped. As the tank fills with solids there is less room for it to contain the liquids. The excess liquid are forced out into the drain field where they can overwhelm the perk of the soil. Also as Tracy mentioned excessive water contribution to the tank can give the same results as a full tank.

Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
As the tank fills with solids there is less room for it to contain the liquids. The excess liquid are forced out into the drain field where they can overwhelm the perk of the soil.

Dave:)
The tank will always be full of bio-solids and liquids to the level of the outlet. When bio-solids reach 35%, tank should be pumped. To determine this level, you need a "sludge judge." (I have one.) They were originally made to judge the pulp content in fruit juices. My bet goes toward the leaking water closet (toilet for non plumbers.) Any time liquid or solids enter tank, an equal volume is discharged to the leach field. Excess water has flooded field and cut off oxygen needed to process waste water. Most stores, including borgs have dye pellets that you can put in WC tank and quickly see if there is a leak. Because you have a water filter, check the back wash cycle to make sure it isn't hanging in the on position. Bruce

jhreed

New User
james
I agree with Bruce. Check your water bill and see if there has been and increase. Check all water use sources and make sure there is no leak. Call the septic tank man and have the tank pumped now. Ask him what the problem is. He has more experience than most of us. I have been given recommendations for a pumping schedule of any where from annually to every 5 years. The septic tank processes sewage, but there is a certain amount of solids that stay in the tank and must be pumped out periodically. You want to do this before the solids get to the drain field and make it necessary to replace the drain field.
James

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
So, as it turns out Bruce was spot on, leaking WC, got that fixed and the field seems to be drying out. May still send some root killer out just to be sure! Thanks.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
My septic guy suggested that we flush a package of yeast down the toilet each month. Supposed to keep the tank 'active' / working.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
My septic guy suggested that we flush a package of yeast down the toilet each month. Supposed to keep the tank 'active' / working.
Which are you doing in your septic tank, making beer, or baking bread? It's the anerobic bacteria that break down the solids in a septic tank. Yeast only digests sugars ( which body has already done.)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Which are you doing in your septic tank, making beer, or baking bread? It's the anerobic bacteria that break down the solids in a septic tank. Yeast only digests sugars ( which body has already done.)
Don't let DaveO read this post! If he does and suddenly starts brewing in quantity, you have been warned....

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gary, if you don't know when your tank was last pumped I would suggest you get that done also. With a baby due almost any day now your water usage (Laundry) is about to sky rocket.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith

Wow, talk about "skunky" beer....

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I wish.......
water and sewer were available where we are. I don't miss paying the monthly bills but

pumping the tank 3-5 years plus digging to uncover the lid, monthly bacteria, 4 years ago (a year after moving in) redoing the septic field (in the area of $3500), lightning hitting and thus a new well pump (I only paid the deductible and not the whole $1800), now we need a water filtration system and of course there is the salt, and filters........

wow this "free" water and sewer is saving us TONS of money!!!

Rob

New User
Rob
I just received a letter from the county saying my pump system is non-compliant because the cover to my pump is ground level, not 6" above ground. House is over 20 years old, I've been here almost 10, it's just now non-compliant? Wife is going to check into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS