(semi) "New" tool Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am in a fun and unique position where I get to run around and see stuff.
Tuesday I was in Braselton Ga. I was early for my visit to customer and saw an interesting pawn / antique store.

Mostly stuff I was not interested in, but I asked the question; "Do you get any hand planes, or other tools?"

One of the guys says "Hey don't we have that BIG plane in the back?"

Well, they did!
Stanley_Bailey_8.jpg

Stanley_Bailey_8_side_.jpg
Yep, that is a '10 patent Stanley Bailey #8 (MAN that thing is LONG!)
The best news - $20

I also recently go in my head that I need bits for my brace, but I am not sure I "REALLY" NEED them - that along with how REALLY CHEAP I am...
So I see this box...

bit_box.jpg

Open it up,

Some_Irwin_Auger_Bits.jpg

...and check that out!
"Hey, how much you want for..."

So for $15 I am now on the hunt to "fill-out" the rest of my bit box!
But, a good start!

W Burton

New User
Bill
Great find! With a bit of cleaning that plane should be a good addition to the tool collection.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bring the box next time you are near and we can look through the tackle box i bought at a yard sale. There's a fist full of bits but not all sizes.

Good luck on cleaning up that #8 that you stole.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
On closer inspection I see it doesn't have a blade, I don't feel quite so bad now...

Last edited by a moderator:

SSuther

New User
Stan
I've accumulated some extras and would be happy to help you fill the case. These look to be 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, and 3/4. A couple are oversize by a smidge. They're in pretty good shape and would sharpen up fine. I took a photo, but can't seem to get it to show here. PM an email, and I'll send the photo.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
On closer inspection I see it doesn't have a blade, I don't feel quite so bad now...

Yea, I considered that, but the last "Farm-fresh" plane I bought, a friend of mine spent some (an extreme amount) time flattening the back and sharpening the blade, and it was so pitted, it never really reached the point that it should...

I have a blade and chip-breaker - so I still feel pretty good about it.

Appreciate the offer of digging for some fill-ins for the augers!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also have some extra bits for a brace. At one time I bought 10 braces and a box full of bits on ebay for $20+$20 shipping. Just to get the one brace (a 12" swing) that I wanted. The bits looked in really crappy condition, almost as if they were caked with mud. Turned out that they were covered in wax to keep them rust-free. Must have been old beeswax because it had really turned brown. But the bits are actually fine. I have a complete boxed set of bits so could part with any of these spares fairly easily. Just have to find them. I think I know where I put them.

BTW, I sold Ed the other 9 braces for $3 a piece so didn't come out too bad on the deal. Of course while in his shop selling him the braces I bought more than what he was giving me for them so still came away poorer (pocket change wise) than when I entered. But I'm sure I got some other excellent tools in the bargain.

Nice score. I just love old classic tools.

gritz

New User
Robert
I have three bits but another sibling got the drill. They are stamped 3, 7, and 12, (16ths). The 12 needs sharpening and they all have some light tool box rust. If you are interested, PM me.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Hank: Bring that junk to the next west lunch. I will trade 2 balsa pen blanks for that old stuff! :)

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Don't do it Hank. I have a brand new unopened pack of 10 "BIC" pens I will trade you for that old junk. Brand new from a store even!!
Nice new smooth plastic, no nasty splinters or anything... and that drill thing? You want holes? I'll even throw in a bag of donut holes!!

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Andy forced this radical move:
I will raise the bid to three balsa pen blanks. You will never get a chance like this again! They are imported from South America. Guaranteed to not dull your chisels. Full-sized, .25" x .25" x 4" They are legal immigrants. Deal is plus shipping and handling of only $7.95. Double the offer to six blanks, only pay separate S & H. Be quick, probably won't be available after this ad appears on QVC.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
you two should take this on the road as I think you can make some money since you are both SO hilarious!:nah:

aplpickr

New User
Bill
I have to have that plane! It will be my first presentation of My Antique Tool Company when I make my Shark presentation. $250K for 6 %.

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
O.K.
Then what will you give me for a 605 Bedrock?

(Gotta see if it is worth the trouble of taking and posting a picture...)

Hmerkle

Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I've accumulated some extras and would be happy to help you fill the case. These look to be 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, and 3/4. A couple are oversize by a smidge. They're in pretty good shape and would sharpen up fine. I took a photo, but can't seem to get it to show here. PM an email, and I'll send the photo.
Stan, did you get my PM?
I didn't see one from you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS