Semi floating shelf

Mauser44

New User
John
God morning

My boss asked me to build him the shelves pictured below.
Was thing of using a combination of dowels and screws to hold the shelves in place, along with glue.
Would that hold or would it not be sturdy enough?
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20200518_082622.jpg
    20200518_082622.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 305

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
God morning

My boss asked me to build him the shelves pictured below.
Was thing of using a combination of dowels and screws to hold the shelves in place, along with glue.
Would that hold or would it not be sturdy enough?
Any suggestions?
John
Lots of ways to build that - especially if it will be used for towels or knick-knacks and not as a bookshelf.
Dowels, loose tenons, screws, shelf dadoed in to the vertical pieces, or maybe a combination of those approaches. THe big advantage of this is that it will be much easier to hang (one nail?) than floating shelves are.

Mauser44

New User
John
John
Lots of ways to build that - especially if it will be used for towels or knick-knacks and not as a bookshelf.
Dowels, loose tenons, screws, shelf dadoed in to the vertical pieces, or maybe a combination of those approaches. THe big advantage of this is that it will be much easier to hang (one nail?) than floating shelves are.
Thank you

Jeff

New User
Jeff
What is this "nautical" themed shelf used for? It looks like some sort of woven cloth on the shelves so it shouldn't be very heavy. Henry suggested a towel shelf which is even better as far as weight.

Here's the same one on Etsy for $75. The dimensions are 27" tall, 14.5" wide, and 6.25" deep. Four dadoes on the back center board will hold the shelves and a few wood screws can be added from the back to support the shelves. I don't think that dowels or glue will be needed. The piece is hung on a wall stud using a D-hook.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Recently here was a thread showing how to do floating shelves. "Video - Stupid Easy Floating Shelves 2 Ways" is thread title.

Last edited:

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
If it were me, I would dado the shelves into the back board with both glue and screws. It is not too hard, and even if overkill for the weight load, the cantalevered nature of the shelves would be more stable with the screws pulling the shelf into the dado.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Not too much in parts. A few hours of your time. I looked at the etsy one and scrolled down through the options. The $75 one is DIY assembly and finishing. The cleats might run into some money depending if you want stainless or painted. Good way to score some points with your boss.

Roy G

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Like this. The back support is 5" w x 3/4" t and the dadoes in the back support are 3/8" deep and 3/4" wide. The shelves are 3/4" thick so it should be a snug fit.

towel rack.jpg

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Just to make your life easier, screw in the cleats before you assemble - while you have clearance and leverage. You can remove for assembly and finishing and they'll go on easier in the end.

Mauser44

New User
John
ROOKIE ALERT! open to suggestions
so I cut the dado with a router and planed the shelves to fit tight (had to bump them with my fist to fit). I was very proud with myself.... , then I SANDED THEM!
Now the shelve fit ever so loose. With a very slight gap the shelf can "wobble" a couple of degree. Nothing major but enough that they are not a snug fit anymore. (insert many expletives here)

In researching, it seems a laminate \ wedge on the underside of the shelf would be one of the options to use for the small gap, or starting all over on the shelves.
I am not experienced in furniture building, would titebond glue cause the joints to swell up to fit the gap and a wedge\laminate would not be needed ? would poly\gorilla glue work better?
Any other suggestions?

the shelves are being used for towels and knickknacks in an bathroom.

Thank you all again

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
You are using glue and screws. I would not be concerned. You could cut a thin piece to shim either from the top or the bottom depending on what will be within eyesite. I would think it would be hidden best from top.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Now the shelve fit ever so loose.

Leave the shelves alone. Add one or two screws through the back and into each shelf. That will firm it up and no one will be the wiser to a slight misfit. The entire rack isn't going to have much weight on it overall.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Now the shelve fit ever so loose. With a very slight gap the shelf can "wobble" a couple of degree. Nothing major but enough that they are not a snug fit anymore. (insert many expletives here).
Agree with Berta. Assemble with glue and screws and then see if there really is a problem. Uncertain what your finish will be but wood filler (commercial or otherwise) can mask small gaps quite well (not that I would ever need to do so..... wink wink).

Mauser44

New User
John
Agree with Berta. Assemble with glue and screws and then see if there really is a problem. Uncertain what your finish will be but wood filler (commercial or otherwise) can mask small gaps quite well (not that I would ever need to do so..... wink wink).
the request is for a classic grey stain . not what I would have used, but it fits his beach house theme....
i will be finishing it with semi gloss poly

Thank you all.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS