Selling my shop due to heath and finance reasons and need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimwill48

James
Is become painfully clear to my in the last 6 months that it is now time for me to sell all my shop tools and wood. In the last 6 months my health has gotten to a point where I'm almost unable to do anything in the shop any longer or for that matter work, and there is no fix in sight. I have signed up for SS Disability, but have no idea about that, SS doc I went to said I was nearly to a point where I am close to being in a wheelchair and one fall away from a broken hip, by the way I'm 58 so the time has come. Plus since I'm unable to work, the mortgage still has to be paid if I want to keep a roof over my head. So......

What are the best way to accomplish selling my stuff?

I have thought of the following;
1) Listing stuff on this web site! Which I like so everyone here gets 1st shot, but very difficult with smaller items.
2) Holding a Tool Yard Sale!
3) Craigslist! Really not a big fan of...!

Anybody with any other idea's.

I'm not looking for symphony it is what it is......

Thanks in Advance....James

If I put this in wrong forum let me know or move it to correct :)

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Listing items on NCWW is definitely a good start. Craigslist is probably too good of an option to pass up as well.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
As someone who has spent the better part of his life struggling with chronic and debilitating health issues I really feel for what you are going through -- I've barely made it out to my own shop for the past 2 years.

I'm sorry to hear you are selling off your shop as I know that is a very difficult thing to do, but I truly wish you the very best in the years to come and hope you find peace with the challenges life throws at you. Fight to keep those things which matter most to you and give your life meaning and waste little energy on all that does not.

I don't know where your heart still lies relative to this hobby but there are some aspects of woodworking that are very much wheelchair compatible (e.g. scrollsawing and smaller lathe turnings) if you still wish to do woodworking on a vastly smaller scale.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Jim,
so sorry about your situation. I'm with Ethan - make every attempt to continue some woodworking - it's great therapy! Lots of guys work from wheelchairs.
if you must sell your stuff, I would think here is the best place to start.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Jim,
so sorry about your situation. I'm with Ethan - make every attempt to continue some woodworking - it's great therapy! Lots of guys work from wheelchairs.
if you must sell your stuff, I would think here is the best place to start.

I'm not in a wheelchair (yet at least), I was just responding to the OP's comments.

My problems have to do with severe chronic pain and fatigue which has been a bit worse than usual the past few years so I have moved on to my alternate hobby (electronics) for the past couple years until I finally feel up to finishing some of my in-progress (and on-hold) shop projects.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim - that is TERRIBLE to hear.

I think 58 is young and am saddened that you are going through this.

I agree that listing the stuff on the website is a great start, unfortunately many of us have tools so it may not be the "Clearing house" you want it to be.

I will make this offer - what ever you decide to do I am willing to help - I am only 2 hours away from you and make regular trips to Charlotte and the area.

You let me know what you need and if it is within my power I will help you.

thsb

New User
Tim
my response didn't make it initially, i must not have submitted.

anyway, i think it is a good idea to start trying to write the ads on craigslist and on this site. doing so will be a good gauge of how you really feel about getting rid of your woodworking tools. if you need the cash but also feel significant twinges of sorrow or regret, i would make sure you hold on to a few of your favorite/most used tools. that way if you feel up to it you have something to work with.

I really hope your health issues get resolved. best wishes and good luck.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I will make this offer - what ever you decide to do I am willing to help - I am only 2 hours away from you and make regular trips to Charlotte and the area.

You let me know what you need and if it is within my power I will help you.

I am in East Charlotte and could probably help also if needed.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
I am sorry to hear that.I am in that shape starting better than 10 years ago.I had to sell most of my tools just to pay doc bills.After several treatments and a spinal cord stimulator I have been able to piddle in the garage even tho I have to do most of them while laying down.I just downsized everything like making model boats and some scrolling instead of building 70' boats and repairing 110 footers.Instead of using a table saw I use a 10" band saw.Instead of using a full size router I use a Dremel with a router attachment.Before I didn't have enough patience to carve and now I have some mini chisels and rotary tools and attempt carving without much luck.
Tony

lnelson

New User
Larry
As others have expressed, sorry to hear that you may be unable to continue woodworking. I believe that it is "therapy" in may ways but you know best your capabilities.

Another thing to consider might be an auction house. One that comes to mind is Iron Horse. I track their auctions and things always seem to go for a good price. I have no idea what they take for a commission but everything would probably be sold with minimal headache or personal involvement on your part. There are probably other auction houses out there, this is just one that I am aware of.

Best wishes for however you decide to proceed.

Larry

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Sorry to hear about your difficulties James.

Regarding your initial question, there are some other channels you can go through as well, but the key is finding the right market for your stuff. Do you have any industrial grade equipment, i.e. edgebander, sliding table saw, widebelt sander etc., or is most of your stuff more hobby-focused? There are much better websites and/or channels you can use to sell an edgebander than on NCWW, but those places won't be interested at all in a 14" Jet bandsaw, for example.

(edit follows below...)
OK, I just browsed your gallery, and assuming your shop pictures are somewhat current, I think most of your equipment would be categorized as good quality hobbyist gear, so places like here, Sawmill Creek and eventually Craigslist would be the best outlets. I don't think holding an auction would make sense for you—mostly industrial buyers or bargain hunters for those—and the specialty websites I was thinking of are skewed towards larger gear.

K

K

windknot

Scott
Senior User
Sorry you are dealing with such health problems. Anything we can do to help you out please let us know. I am sure there are many generous spirits here that will be happy to assist you in the process.

bwat

New User
Bill
Very sorry to hear of your health issue! I agree that woodworking can be great therapy and would suggest you find some segment of the hobby to maintain. You know I'm close and willing to help. Let me knowwhat I can do.

gator

George
Corporate Member
I know nothing about your shop/tools, but, I would contact a GOOD auctioneer/auction company in your area. If there are more than one (and there usually are) interview each and see what their qualification/knowledge is as to tools. I have attended auctions over the years and invariable have seen auction fever set in (with a good auctioneer) and things go for close, and sometimes over, original price.

Either way, good luck.

George

old-delta

Wes
Senior User
I'm really sorry to hear this James. I just turned 58 Wednesday. I hear stories like this and trust me I am so thankful for my health.
Personally I think here would be a great start to sell. I for one always am looking at the classifieds to see what I don't have lol. I as everyone here does, wish you the very best in your decision. I'm not close but I'm sure I can help in some way. Not sure what all you have for sale but I'm always looking a good excuse to get up Charlotte way. Wesley

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
If perhaps even listing the tools is an issue or presents some problems, possibly setting a date or perhaps 2-3 days where you hold an "open house" for the members of this forum. Place price tags on whatever you are selling and possibly putting out some food so people can mingle while they are browsing. I haven't been a member of this forum for a terribly long time but I do think we have some real good people here who can always use something. It may just be an easy way to sell some of the items quickly.

BigJohn

New User
Big John
Really hate to hear that too. I hope you don't stop all woodworking right away. I am in a power chair most of the time now and have sold all but a basic set of hand tools. Still get in the shop at least once a day. Good luck to you sir. Also I agree with FrankC. That is a good idea.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I am so sorry this is happening to you. Hopefully, if you wanted to, you will be able to keep your hand in woodworking in some way.

I would suggest a "yard" sale where you invited this site and any others you think would be interested. You may also want to post an ad in Craigslist. The good thing about that is that you keep all the money, you don't have to worry about packing, communication, writing a bunch of ads/descriptions, taking pictures, etc. Once you see what is left, then you will have a better idea about taking the next step. Besides, having fellow woodworkers around that you know and that you realize will give your tools a good home may help ease the pain.

I am about 1.5 hours from you and am really good at organization. I have also run a few sales. I would be happy to help if you need it.

jimwill48

James
Want to thank everyone who commented here (and on the ncww facebook page). I'm going to try to hold out till a little warmer weather but will be liquidating my shop in the near future. I will also be contacting those who offered help.

I also want everyone to know I will be keeping a mini-lathe so I will still have some connection with woodworking.

Thank You everyone, this is a great group and family.....james

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS