Selling Most of My Stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Several people over the years have posted this type of thought before, and I guess I'm considering joining them. I have been woodworking for almost fifteen years now and I'm not getting any younger and I'm definitely not getting any richer. I don't have much time to get out into the shop any more and when I do, it feels like an obligation. I definitely feel happier thinking about woodworking now than I do actually getting out there and doing it. I have all of these dreams of things I want to build but it just never seems to happen.

For the past year, I have considered selling most of my equipment to help get the debt monkey off my back. My husband is going to retire on July 1 and I'm thinking one of the first things we will do with his new spare time is clean up most of the equipment I have and hold a big shop sale. I also have a lot of wood.

I really believe I will be happy with just my small lathe making pens, boxes, etc. If I decide that this will be my woodworking future, is there any other equipment you turners would suggest I keep, as well? I have nearly everything you could think of right now and only want to hang on to stuff that I need for turning small items. When I think about the money I've spent over the years it makes me shake my head.

Do you know of anyone else who has sold off their equipment and how do they feel about it now?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Sometimes I think I could be happy with just my bandsaw and my lathe. But then I come to my senses and realize I get bored too easily and need the other tools even if I only use then once every ten years.

i thought about selling my tools to pay off debt, but I wouldn't get anywhere near what I paid and then I would always be wanting the tools for some project.

now, the one thing you do have is some great wood and I think you should seriously consider selling some of that.
Knowing what you told me, I would say you can make a good profit there.

why not try that first, see how you do and then think about what you can really live without as far as the tools go?

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I don't have much to add to what Mike said, but I agree with Adam that a Band Saw compliments a Lathe more than any other tool.

I hope you reconsider your decision to sell off most everything, but NCWW will surely help with whatever decision you make.

I'm personally looking forward to retirement when I can have more shop time even if I have less money to spend on the shop and tools.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
Yes, I can see how my regular band saw would be useful. I would keep my circular saw, drills and other "household" tools in case repairs around the house were needed. But I have a lot of other stuff I wouldn't need.

I would think the spring would be the best time to have a sale but don't think I'll have the time to put everything together while Larry and I are both working.

I could start taking pictures now, I guess, as time permitted. Maybe actually starting the work of conducting a sale would help me make sure I was doing the right thing.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I have sold off my stuff from time to time and afterwards say "what did you do that for" Often times going back and buying more. so its a toss up kind of thing. Remember the stuff you have is already paid for, so if it sets in the shop seldom used you have lost nothing. I understand the debt monkey. Boy do I ever but I believe Mike is right go for the best profit by selling the wood(you know that mike he is pretty smart I think). I am no expert but in the end I'll say do what makes you happy. just my .02

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Susan, if you feel that you must downsize or walk away, then do so with no regrets. You have not wasted your efforts, but have gained many lessons in discipline and planning in order to achieve the skills level you have attained. Know also that you have many friends here that will try to support your decision whatever it may be.
I think this Thread should serve as a wake up call to a lot of people in WWing. Over the years I have furnished my shop with a host of power and hand tools, and I have been careful to buy what I could afford when I could afford it. It was seldom new and almost always needed a little work. I am able to do most repairs and refurbishing on older stuff and so I don't have a lot of cash outlay in anything but preferred to put in some sweat equity, and it all serves my purposes. I too long to build all the cabinets and chairs and tables and turn the bowls and vases that I see here, but I must realize that there are only so many hours in a day and one can get burned out doing it all. I am amazed and somewhat envious at some of the projects I have been able to see here online and in person on shop crawls. I'm also happy for those participants in this endeavor that at least try to do it to their best ability. Perhaps in the next few years if and when I get "pasture - ized" I will be able to spend more time on these things.
To all here, don't let this or any other activity create stress on an already stretched out existence.
In the end, for most of us, to quote Steve Coles, "This is all just a diversion anyways."

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's a chapter in a book for you and Larry. That can't be rewritten so title it: "It's Been a Heckuva Ride".

You both have our support as you begin writing that next chapter which could be titled: "Things Not Done and to be Done".

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
A different take on what to keep and what to sell:

Keep any tool that you feel is a joy to work with: the ones that make you smile just using them. Odds are you will find a "need" to use them sometime in the future. They will still be valuable to you even if left unused for a few years.

Put up for sale those that irritate you when you use them. If that capability should be needed in the future, look for replacements that are better suited to you. They are probably part of the reason for feeling like just chucking it all in the first place. Also in this category are those tools you feel you "need' to use because of their cost, and not because they bring you any joy in using them.

Whatever your decision, look forward after making it, not back. Those that go through life always looking to the past are not looking where they are headed, making it all too easy for life to trip them onto their bum.

JMHO

Go

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I knew we had a lot of talent in this group but I am also in awe of the wisdom and understanding. You have all given me a lot to think about especially those of you who have sold your stuff in the past.
I have been trying to build a stereo cabinet and have been frustrated at the amount of time out is taking. So, I decided not to look at the whole project but just concentrate on one step at a time. For example, one afternoon I jointed, planed and ripped the stiles and rails A few days later I went out there at night and drilled my pocket holes. Two days later I went out and plugged the pocket jokes since I had drilled then on the stiles instead of the rails. Tonight I chiseled and sanded the plugs flat. Maybe keeping my hand in but not feeling obligated to be out there every possible minute will help.
Thanks again for all your thoughtful comments. I will consider each one and take it to heart. This is a great group of people.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Susan,

The approach you describe above is THE only reasonable way for me to get into this hobby. I shake my head in awe at the project photos and WIP pix here that are accompanied by a "Well, it took me nearly all day to build this Sam Maloof rocker..."

I hope you'll stick with it if you can find a way to make it enjoyable.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Susan,

I have been building a tool chest for over a year. Yesterday I cut the mortises for the top frame.

Hopefully this week I will cut the tenons.

The panel is ready so maybe this Sunday or next I will assemble the top, then I can start on the top molding.

if I were doing it for money I would be losing everything, but this is something I'm making to give away.

I'm learning as I go and this one will be better than the last one.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Susan, the approach you described (one step at a time) is probably what works for most of us hobbyist. I'm retired and have nothing else I have to do each day (usually), yet it takes me quite a while to complete a project. As Mike and some others said, I do a little bit each time I'm in the shop. Eventually, I find I'm ready for final assembly and finishing. How did that happen? :dontknow: It's the process, not the finished product, that gives me pleasure.

The other thought I'll share is some advice I was given when I first started contemplating retirement. Retire 'to' something, not to get 'away' from something. That made perfect sense to me since I wasn't unhappy in my job, but wanted to spend more time w/ family and woodworking. You might apply that to the decision you are now considering: Are you making a change to get away from something you no longer enjoy, or are you moving toward something you will enjoy more?

Bill

JackLeg

New User
Reggie

The other thought I'll share is some advice I was given when I first started contemplating retirement. Retire 'to' something, not to get 'away' from something. That made perfect sense to me since I wasn't unhappy in my job, but wanted to spend more time w/ family and woodworking. You might apply that to the decision you are now considering: Are you making a change to get away from something you no longer enjoy, or are you moving toward something you will enjoy more?

Bill

Excellent advice, Bill! We need to keep our older brains active doing stuff we ENJOY doing!

:wsmile:

Susan, the approach you described (one step at a time) is probably what works for most of us hobbyist. I'm retired and have nothing else I have to do each day (usually), yet

it takes me quite a while to complete a project. As Mike and some others said, I do a little bit each time I'm in the shop. Eventually, I find I'm ready for final assembly and finishing. How did that happen? :dontknow: It's the process, not the finished product, that gives me pleasure.

Bill

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
Susan -- Lots of wisdom here, and I can't add much. But after about two years of retirement I am THOROUGHLY enjoying taking just one project at a time and perfecting each step. Time isn't a factor. But enjoyment of the woodworking process is central. It took me almost two years to learn enough core skills to build a dining room table out of ash for a friend. Enjoyed every moment. When you decide what your specialty area will be, go for it! Try not to think about production.

Quick anecdote -- In my early thirties I'd been fishing for six hours and caught nothing. I went in my boat to get gas and huffed around whining about the poor fishing. Older (wiser) fellow on the dock calmly stated, "I think I know what your problem is...." I'm sure I was sarcastic asking, "Yeah? What's my problem?" He promptly stated, "You enjoying catching fish way more than you have learned to enjoy going fishing." Wow -- changed my thinking in life. He was right. Enjoy the process and each day you are given. :rolleyes:

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Susan,
I avoided answering until the much smarter minds of this group made their suggestions.

But I have to say this - you are a VERY talented individual in more than just woodworking.

I believe you are putting too much pressure on yourself - (see Gabe's fishing versus catching story)

You ask "Do you know of anyone else who has sold off their equipment and how do they feel about it now?" I believe anyone asking that question WILL have remorse about selling something other than when they have decided - [I am not going to do that any longer and I am getting rid of that stuff...]

My suggestion: Take a sabbatical on the lathe or ??? (some other type of project that you enjoy) ONLY work on that (those) tools, and ONLY when you have time and ONLY for the purpose of accomplishing something (turn a pen or a bowl) or as an enjoyable get-away from everything else...

If it makes you feel fulfilled - so be it, start selling things that you do use or don't want clogging your space any longer...

Test yourself after each sale and say "I feel good about that" or "Gee, I am not sure that was the right thing to do" not immediately, this "test" needs to take place a month or THREE afterward...

As long as you continue to say - "Yep, that was right" - keep on doing it...

Many of us would be envious of the space you have to work in and the tools you have en-massed over the years.

You also mentioned the Debt monkey - he (or she) is a pretty strong motivator, but I will reiterate what everyone has said - When I sell my stuff it doesn't seem to have the same value as it did when I was trying to buy it!

As Mike said "I
thought about selling my tools to pay off debt, but I wouldn't get anywhere near what I paid and then I would always be wanting the tools for some project."

Maybe patience is the solution, I am not sure - but having a shop sale suggests an urgency and I will guess that you will not get the cash out of your stuff that you should...

Again, just my two cents (and those along with 25 cents will not buy you even a crappy cup of coffee!)

lnelson

New User
Larry
Please allow me to tell you the story of my great grandfather. When he retired, his wife (with some help from some informed friends) bought him a modest woodworking setup. Nothing special from an equipment standpoint but enough to get it done. As the years and decades rolled by, grandpa would always be in his shop in the afternoon, sometimes puttering around, sometimes making toys for his grandchildren and his great grand children (at age 54, I still have every item that he ever made me). Grandpa lived to the age of 102, I believe largely because of his shop; it kept his mind crisp and alway working, and it gave him a purpose to get up every day and something to look forward to. He brought a lot of joy to all of us and we all remember and treasure the gifts he made us.

Keep two things in mind- how do you plan to spend your retirement? Will making pens be enough when you are used to so much more? Are pens enought to get you up in the morning and keep your mind continually crisp and working like grandpa's shop did for him? I am years away from retirement but I can tell you that the last thing to go will be my shop and my lumber. I will sell my cars and ride a bike before I sell a single tool. I look forward to the day when I step off the work-world treadmill and set my own goals and schedule. I also look forward to bringing joy to my grandchildren (none yet but someday...) with the woodworking treasures that I put underneath the Christmas tree for them.

Think it thru carefully. I agree with the previous post to sell what sounds like a considerable amount of lumber prior to losing any of your tools or equipment.

Respectfully submitted,

Larry

Several people over the years have posted this type of thought before, and I guess I'm considering joining them. I have been woodworking for almost fifteen years now and I'm not getting any younger and I'm definitely not getting any richer. I don't have much time to get out into the shop any more and when I do, it feels like an obligation. I definitely feel happier thinking about woodworking now than I do actually getting out there and doing it. I have all of these dreams of things I want to build but it just never seems to happen.

For the past year, I have considered selling most of my equipment to help get the debt monkey off my back. My husband is going to retire on July 1 and I'm thinking one of the first things we will do with his new spare time is clean up most of the equipment I have and hold a big shop sale. I also have a lot of wood.

I really believe I will be happy with just my small lathe making pens, boxes, etc. If I decide that this will be my woodworking future, is there any other equipment you turners would suggest I keep, as well? I have nearly everything you could think of right now and only want to hang on to stuff that I need for turning small items. When I think about the money I've spent over the years it makes me shake my head.

Do you know of anyone else who has sold off their equipment and how do they feel about it now?

gritz

New User
Robert
Your comment about feeling obligated to do woodwork made me think of when I was younger, and owned a motor home. I never got to use it as much as I thought I would. I spent a lot of time daydreaming and fretting about not being able to use it. When I finally sold it, I made myself a promise I have kept for 45 years..."never own anything you feel obligated to enjoy."

My suggestion...take a break from woodworking. When you feel like it, clean and organize your shop. Make a list of the tools you want to keep and the ones you want to sell. Beside each tool state the reason to keep or sell. Put the sale items in a pile. Have a trusted NCWW member come by and appraise each item and the wood, but do not sell them anything. I believe this process will give you insight about how to proceed.

DWSmith

New User
David
I can only add this - For most here woodworking is a hobby, something to do when there is nothing else to do and not something which has to be done or has a deadline. So, do what pleases you and cast the other things to the side.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I'll tell another story about an old friend.

He retired after a very successful life, his wife had always wanted a luxurious home and his shop was not to be part of that.

They bought a very nice home in a very nice neighborhood and he had nothing to do since she had asked him (coerced) to sell all his tools.

He basically sat down and let his mind rot. Ten years later he was nothing more than a shell and he finally welcomed death.

I truly believe if he had kept his shop tools and kept busy doing the things he had looked forward to all his working years he would still be alive and doing well.

He was only 69 when he died, he had no cancer, no heart problems, no disease, he just gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS