Segmented Project Planner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Somebody at the Raleigh Lunch Friday asked me what software I used for segmented turning. Couldn't remember the name of it at the time. (OFD.) The title of this thread is the answer.

Pick it up at:

http://www.segmentedturning.com/

Free to try for 30 days, then pay 36.95 to register it. Very good customer service. I lost my registration code due to a hard drive crash, emailed them and they sent me my code from their records.

The thing I liked best about this software is there are multiple video tutorials about how to use all of the features. Really helped get up to speed quickly. It gives you printouts showing what angles and lengths to cut each ring's segments as the final output. The design tool works pretty well also. Be sure and watch the tutorials, they make everything clear.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I didn't really use plans to build mine. I just cobbled together some parts from the Incra Jig Making kit and added some of my own. You're welcome to stop by sometime and see it. I've actually not even used it yet. My first segmented turning I cut on the compound miter saw. My arm got sore pulling it down over and over and this was a very small vase. So I made the one for the table saw for next project.

Mine should work ok, but Charlie's is the Cadillac of miter sleds. Sign up for one of his workshops and you can see that one in action.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks for the follow up Ken - I enjoyed meeting you and the group at lunch Friday. Especially enjoyed sifting through the Tiger wood.

For segmented turning - anyone tried a software package by woodturner pro:
http://woodturnerpro.com/content.php?r=123-VERSION-3-SOFTWARE-HAS-BEEN-RELEASED!

Also - anyone got a set of plans for a miter sled they could share??

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne,
I think you were looking for a miter sled for segmented turning and as Ken points out Charlie's is "THE MAC-DADDY!"
You can look in his gallery under Misc. but here is a couple of teasers;

101_4976.JPG

101_4972.JPG

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The program here will handle all the hard math for you. Telling you how wide and long a piece you need to cut the segments for each ring. There is an option for whether you want to make the least waste and alternate wedge cuts or use more wood and keep the outside grain contiguous such as with a very patterned grain such as in Wenge.

If you're interested in segmented turning check it out free and decide if its worth 35 bucks. There are alternatives. I like the video tutorials and the prompt customer service when I had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors