Segmented ornament!

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
I turned my first segmented ornament and am so very excited about it! I don't have finish on it yet but I finished the sanding down to 320. When I part it off, I will put a small eye hook in the stem so that it can hang on the tree.

Attachments

• 20211204_174821.jpg
    20211204_174821.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 167

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Awesome, segmented turning is on my list of things to try. What method did you use for cutting your segments, wedgie sled?

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Awesome, segmented turning is on my list of things to try. What method did you use for cutting your segments, wedgie sled?
I used my Incra Miter sled and since the pieces were super small a pencil to hold the cuts down

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I thought this was a GREAT post from Andrew Klein about small parts and Table saw safety:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I thought this was a GREAT post from Andrew Klein about small parts and Table saw safety:

I designed this collection box years ago. Works great. Hooks up to a shop vac. Removable clear plastic lid. Tray with handle inside the box so segments can be picked out all at once. Works on segments up to about 1". Saves a lot of hand movements when cutting several thousand small segments. Plus it keeps your fingers away from the saw blade.

101_5748.JPG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I designed this collection box years ago. Works great. Hooks up to a shop vac. Removable clear plastic lid. Tray with handle inside the box so segments can be picked out all at once. Works on segments up to about 1". Saves a lot of hand movements when cutting several thousand small segments. Plus it keeps your fingers away from the saw blade.

View attachment 206449
Thank you for posting that @Charlie - I had hoped you would.
I remembered you had a good method of "securing" the cut-offs when you are making segments.

Tgillis

Tonika
Corporate Member
Had to get creative with getting a finish on these ornaments so, clamps, twine and shellac got the job done

Attachments

• 20211212_194413.jpg
    20211212_194413.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 97

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

View attachment 206449
Perfect solution to that process. I think we could do a lot more with vacuum power in the shop.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS