Seen the dual saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Major disclaimer - I know nothing about these. I am providing the link for others who don't know what they are, not because I am suggesting that they are any good or that the price at that site is.

I got an email with a link to this:
http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=86132&DL=EML1&EID=W020&SC=W020C203&

I had never seen nor heard of these before. I guess I have been sleeping at 3:00 AM instead of watching TV; silly me... :wrolleyes:

Anyway, that is an intriguing concept - a saw that spins two blades in opposite directions. There are obvious downsides: thick kerf, heat from blade friction, more gears translating to more potential problems. But it seems like it would be easier to control since it would not try to run off in one direction (or would it?). I wonder if the concept could make tablesaw with no kickback. Not that that would make them all that safe; I doubt you would see the inventor stick his finger anywhere near that sausage maker. Anyway, I am just curious what others think about the concept in general.

kirkpj01

New User
Kip
I think I remember Sears marketing such a saw 3 or 4 years ago. At the time they were a minor hit in the new tool section of several woodworking magazines. They were marketed as rough cut and demo saws I think......

woodworker2000

New User
Christopher
I saw ("saw", get it? :eusa_danc) it on the television show "Pitchmen" (w/the late Billy Mays) and was pretty impressed with it (assuming it truly works as claimed). Cuts were being made in all types of materials without any kickback or sparks (for metal). If anyone has ever tried cutting sheet metal with a handheld grinder, they can appreciate being able to move through a cut without kickback (or having the grinding wheel shatter). I don't think this is the same saw Sears may have been marketing previously. The dual-saw has two counter-rotating blades. A little too expensive for my needs but I would be interested in knowing if it does work as claimed.

rick7938

New User
Rick
They were used a few years ago in stock (?) car racing to cut off dented sheet metal. Don't know if it was for advertising purposes or for real, but they were using them in the pits. When the cordless reciprocating saws became more powerful, I haven't seen them since. Guess they had their 15 minutes of fame and now have faded into tool history.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bought one on closeout @ Lowe's 2 yrs ago. Use it occasionally on metal shapes. Has a flaw I believe in that the brush enclosure gets REAL HOT when used over 3 -5 mins. Blades are a little pricey unless you find them on closeout too (I did). No foot like a circular saw either so cut control is limited. Wouldn't buy another one but I do find uses for it.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I've seen the infomertial, and I generally find those things somewhat less than believable. I've also seen them used on some of the DIY shows. Not sure whether a DIY show lends any more credibility than an infomercial since these are they types that suggest you use your hammer for a push stick on the table saw.

I suppose they have their place, but I've been able to get by with other (somewhat more standard) tools.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Andy,

From what I have seen on the infomerical, They work great if you want to cut your minivan in half!!!:gar-La;

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
I've started in the middle a piece of plywood with my circular saw.......am I crazy for doing it? or do I need to buy this saw?? I only cut metal maybe once a year and have never had a need to cut my mini-van in half, so I need help with this decision please:saw: How do you think it would do on skulls??:rotflm:

cskipper

Cathy
I've started in the middle a piece of plywood with my circular saw.......am I crazy for doing it? or do I need to buy this saw?? I only cut metal maybe once a year and have never had a need to cut my mini-van in half, so I need help with this decision please:saw: How do you think it would do on skulls??:rotflm:

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:Too funny!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

I suspect that if you do a plunge cut with your circular saw, it would be safer than using this two-bladed beastie because of the stability afforded you when you put the front of the shoe on the material to be cut.

... and what kind of a tool guy never (seldom) has to cut a minivan in half??:gar-La;

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Bought one on closeout @ Lowe's 2 yrs ago. Use it occasionally on metal shapes. Has a flaw I believe in that the brush enclosure gets REAL HOT when used over 3 -5 mins. Blades are a little pricey unless you find them on closeout too (I did). No foot like a circular saw either so cut control is limited. Wouldn't buy another one but I do find uses for it.

Yep people complained about the ones sears sold burning out real quick. I think sears use to sell 2 of them and now has 1 hidden on the site somewhere with bad reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS