Seeking advice - building 50 x 100 shelter

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a new task on my plate. I need to coordinate the construction of a 50 x 100 shelter. The shelter will be used to park 3 or 4 semi trailers full of premium hay that is then sold in small batches on a retail level. Eventually sides will be added on the two 100' sides but not required at the start. Clearance under the roof will need to be a minimum of 14'.
A kit to assemble would be great, but stick-built is an option. Wood or metal are options and of course cost is in the mix.
I have semi-skilled labor available, I am best at making phone calls and watching.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Phil, I think you need to get with a truss company so they can design the roof structure. Then take those plans to an architect and have the supports for the roof drawn. Assuming the floor will be dirt you need a framer that is competent enough to erect the structure. 50’ trusses are not for semi skilled labor. You will need someone who has a Lull and Jack stands so they can work unsupported at 14’. The hardware for that structure will be substantial. Uplify from wind is tricky.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
RR Buildings built a post-beam structure with 50'+ span a few years back, IIRC. Not your thing I know, but it might be interesting to review their methods on the YouTube.

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
Phil,

Contact Rafael at New Horizon Buildings in Franklinville and let them quote it for you. I could not be more pleased with their work. Great customer service and attention to detail. They just built two buildings for me!

Attachments

• 725DF57A-14C7-42A6-B7C5-268D8C98A010.png
    725DF57A-14C7-42A6-B7C5-268D8C98A010.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
  • F3FA5257-78FE-471A-9C53-645BBB1267CC.jpeg
    F3FA5257-78FE-471A-9C53-645BBB1267CC.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 77
  • BCBE32BF-58E0-48C8-B3DA-23ADE85474C7.jpeg
    BCBE32BF-58E0-48C8-B3DA-23ADE85474C7.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 62
  • 631DF093-25A0-483B-84C6-1F3D602BF841.jpeg
    631DF093-25A0-483B-84C6-1F3D602BF841.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 68

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil, I think you need to get with a truss company so they can design the roof structure. Then take those plans to an architect and have the supports for the roof drawn. Assuming the floor will be dirt you need a framer that is competent enough to erect the structure. 50’ trusses are not for semi skilled labor. You will need someone who has a Lull and Jack stands so they can work unsupported at 14’. The hardware for that structure will be substantial. Uplify from wind is tricky.
NC requires engineer seal on any truss span over 30 feet. This can be done economically with either wood or metal. But there may be a long lead time on metal kits. Looks like there'll be a lot of LVL lumber used for headers to support the trusses if you plan to have doorways in the long sides. BITD I would've loved to tackle something like this.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
If this is truly a farm structure, located on a farm, then no permit is required. But if hay being sold isn't produced by owner, it's a retail structure. The way around this is to back doors of trailers out from under structure when selling. Your truss manufacter will furnish SEALED drawings. Due to width (escess height when transporting,) you may have to have trusses made in two sections, fastened together over a center beam with related posts. Post will have to be set several feet into the ground to resist wind racking. Posts, beams, and trusses will have to be tied together with what local conditions require. Eastern NC has a much higher wind zone than central NC. MBCI in Chester VA has a rolling mill for roof sheets. Back in the eighties and ninties, they had a regular truck coming to Raleigh area once a week. 50% on order, and balance BEFORE truck is unloaded, unless credit is established prior. Panel screws can be bought from ATlas Bolt and Screw. You can increase wind lifting resistance by using "L" shaped metal (Hamlin sheet Metal in Garner) on top of framing members. To gain clearance, you can hang trusses off side of LVL beams. Trusses can be ordered with extended top chord to furnish over hang. Can trailers be pulled or backed straight into proposed structure. If not post spacing will have to be wider. Outside of each post, set a bumper pipe. My first choice would be a 15" RCP, set about a foot into the ground, filled with concrete. Forget 4" steel pipes as a trailer will wipe them out quickly, with support post to follow. If you go with steel framing, then you will need a concrete slab to resist the outward thrust of the support posts. The Morton Building people specialize in these types of structures.

Last edited:

NCTurner

New User
Gary
Seems to me that is about the standard width of a commercial poultry house, with the normal length being 500’. (New standard 66x600.) If I needed to look for a structure that size, I’d seek a supplier in that industry.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
It all depends on your county and zoning regs. Where I am you used to be able to build a pole barn with no permit, but those days are gone. You can still build a shop without a bathroom if its intended use is "storage".

I don't know about steel being the only way to go. Like Gary, I've seen plenty of poultry houses built with 2x6 trusses.

I would consult a metal building company you'll get a more realistic advice.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Pre-Engineered steel is the cheapest and fastest option.

There are many companies doing this, so there are options to finding someone who can erect the building.
Generally, the cost of the building will be roughly what the cost of the foundation concrete will be + labor and ant other extras desired.
ALWAYS insulate the roof.

If I remember correctly, central North Carolina is 110 mph wind load design criteria, need to check that. ........ anyway that is what I would look at first

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS