Seeking a Few Bowl Blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boone Mtn Man

New User
Brad
I am just getting started turning bowls less than 12" and am looking for someone in the Triangle or Triad that may have some blanks to sell reasonably or donate. I have purchased a few walnut blanks but that gets expensive quickly. I am not looking for anything special just something that I can practice on. I'm in Cary but my shop is in Boone so anywhere in between could work for me to pick up. Thanks

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Brad,
Have you used any firewood? Its a great place to start. I have several chunks laying around youre welcome to, to practice on. I used to stop at places where guys were processing firewood, most will go out of their way to find you something decent even. Alot of what they cant split is something we bowl turners want anyhow, its a win-win.

Boone Mtn Man

New User
Brad
I have done some firewood. My challenge tends to be that the logs are larger than what I can turn and I don't have a band saw to reduce them. I could cut some of my own and I may head that route this spring. Thanks for the reply.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Brad: I'm afraid the trade-off you have to make is to acquire the capability to process tree parts, or to pay to buy bowl blanks. Processing tree parts does not necessarily mean a band saw - although having one certainly helps. A small chain saw helps a lot too; I use an electric one and really like it.

Regarding buying bowl blanks - that does not have to be purchasing Woodcraft premium walnut; that can indeed be an expensive way to learn turning. For example Klingspor's on Capitol Blvd in Raleigh carries economy bowl blanks that are only a few dollars.

Of course someone may be willing to provide a few get you a few blanks; I just wanted to suggest a few alternatives you may not have thought of.

Henry

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have done some firewood. My challenge tends to be that the logs are larger than what I can turn and I don't have a band saw to reduce them. I could cut some of my own and I may head that route this spring. Thanks for the reply.

Do you have some firewood pieces that need to be processed? Bring them to my shop, we can quickly reduce them to what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS