Mike
Corporate Member
327483609_734829354712607_2711898832668842643_n.jpg

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Awkward placement of the band saw?

Expensive workbench for tool storage?
Excessive length of hoses? I know the photographer wanted to get a clear shot of the fixtures, but They really don't need to be so high above the tools.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I thought about turning the BS 90 degrees but it would severely limit the out feed. This appears to be more about looks than function.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
It's way too clean...but once they fire up the router it won't be. Need a DC box on the bottom side of the router table. Also if you have permanent DC hoses, shouldn't you have a permanent mount for the router table?

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Well, you guys certainly look at it differently than I do. I see an almost guaranteed major accident: a router table held by clamps that most certainly be knocked around by the user and all of it mounted on a movable base. I would not want to be this guys insurance company.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, you guys certainly look at it differently than I do. I see an almost guaranteed major accident: a router table held by clamps that most certainly be knocked around by the user and all of it mounted on a movable base. I would not want to be this guys insurance company.
I did not notice the casters on the bench

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Someone on the FB page said the hose is plugged in to the exhaust of the vacuum.
But, I think it's in the right place.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Horrid design -- use of that much flexible duct severely impacts air flow, aside from the reversed wyes and sharp 90 degree elbow. Ironically they placed the worst fine dust producer at the end of the line and restricted the airflow with a long and smaller diameter piece of flex. Smooth wall tubing and correctly aligned fittings might show significant improvement, but the shop vac will still be taxed.

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
+1 to Bruce and Pop-Pop. The 45 degree dropdown wyes are installed backwards. What gets sucked up from the tools is projected backwards against the airflow to the vac. Luckily this looks to be fixable; I'll bet this simple fix would boost efficiency by 25-30%. Additionally, IMO the shop vac is horribly undersized for what it's being asked to do. There's a lot of hose and multiple potential air leaks at the gates, all of which the vac has to overcome with a high CFM airflow. Even though the vac looks to be a 6.5hp vac, it is still undersized for the system. Oh, and Mike, since the answers are all over the place, what's the grand prize? This is a great teaser.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
I was going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that the image was a mirror image which would make the wyes face correctly, but the Rikon logo on the bandsaw is facing correctly so the wyes are indeed backwards.

One other observation is that the motor shroud on the bandsaw is being blocked by the DC hose.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Well, I wanted to leave room for others to comment.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
+1 to Bruce and Pop-Pop. The 45 degree dropdown wyes are installed backwards. What gets sucked up from the tools is projected backwards against the airflow to the vac. Luckily this looks to be fixable; I'll bet this simple fix would boost efficiency by 25-30%. Additionally, IMO the shop vac is horribly undersized for what it's being asked to do. There's a lot of hose and multiple potential air leaks at the gates, all of which the vac has to overcome with a high CFM airflow. Even though the vac looks to be a 6.5hp vac, it is still undersized for the system. Oh, and Mike, since the answers are all over the place, what's the grand prize? This is a great teaser.
The answer is go to a reputable source like Klingspor.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I first saw this and thought it was a strange setup. In the Mail today, I saw the photo in a Rockler mailer. Amazingly poor marketing group that has no clue on the products. Also you would think that Rockler would realize that they annoy customers with the daily email spam! I finally blocked them.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I would change the order of the machines. I would put the router on the left closest to the shop vac as it will generate the most amount of dust. I would put the orbital sander in the middle again closer to the shop vac, and I would put the small bandsaw on the right side as that will generate the least amount of dust. The main hose could also run along just above the workbench a rather than 3 or 4 feet above to use gravity to help move the dust.

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS