Sealing green wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLW

New User
Harold
I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not,but here goes.. I just recently had a large maple tree cut in my woods. I have cut several short logs into slabs for future use.My question is this. Do I need to just seal the end grain of the slabs ( keeping in mind that the bark is on two sides of it )or all sides of the slab to prevent checking? I saw a video of of a guy just sealing the end grain. Thanks.:BangHead:

kclark

New User
Kevin
just end grain. you can get some anchor seal ( I actually picked up a can today from Woodcraft in Greensboro) or I have used latex paint as well.

caskey

New User
Scott
Yes just the endgrain also you did cut the pith out of the log right... if not it will more than likely crack even with the ends coated... you can use wax or laytex paint as well to coat the ends.. also put them under shelter this helps them to dry more evenly(the dramatic drying is ehat couses cracks)
The best thing for future is leave the pieces as long as possible and rip them throgh the pith... and coat the ends.....

HLW

New User
Harold
Oh yes, I cut the pith out and it will be used for fire wood for the guys that I gave the tree to.Looks like I'm set? And now just the waiting and oh yes the process of buying another lathe since I sold my Delta 46-460 over the weekend.And the beat goes on,and on,and on.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS