SealCoat has vanished

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
SealCoat is impossible to find in my neck of Eastern NC. Unfortunately, the only local source has been Lowes, and they no longer carry it. In my work, I only use it once or twice a year, so mixing up flakes doesn't make sense to me. Ordering SealCoat on the internet is not a problem, although the price has gone up quite a bit. Does anyone know why this has become so hard to find?

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
SealCoat is impossible to find in my neck of Eastern NC. Unfortunately, the only local source has been Lowes, and they no longer carry it. In my work, I only use it once or twice a year, so mixing up flakes doesn't make sense to me. Ordering SealCoat on the internet is not a problem, although the price has gone up quite a bit. Does anyone know why this has become so hard to find?
I don’t know if it is just me, but unless I have a lot of time on my hands and/or I am not interested in a professional finish, that stuff is awful.

What is your final finish and how are you applying it?

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Seal-Coat is my go-to finish. Love the stuff. Thin multiple coats (6-8), light sanding between coats, finish with wax. NOTE: all horonizal surfaces 2 to 3 coats oil poly. This is the finish given to me by a guy who majored in finishing at Application furniture school. He now builds and finishes very expensive custom furniture.

Pop

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Seal-Coat is my go-to finish. Love the stuff. Thin multiple coats (6-8), light sanding between coats, finish with wax. NOTE: all horonizal surfaces 2 to 3 coats oil poly. This is the finish given to me by a guy who majored in finishing at Application furniture school. He now builds and finishes very expensive custom furniture.

Pop

Once the Covid 19 threat is gone, I will be pleased to host a finishing demo, using a professional finish, more durable than poly on shellac. The figure enhancement and clarity is also superb.

Only two coats, 45 minutes from start to finish including sanding and drying times.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I don’t know if it is just me, but unless I have a lot of time on my hands and/or I am not interested in a professional finish, that stuff is awful.

What is your final finish and how are you applying it?

I don't make furniture so I can't comment on its suitability as a furniture finish. It seems to me, however, that many folks on this site would disagree with your statement about using it in a "professional" finish.

To answer your question, I use it mainly for two applications. First, to seal Sitka spruce soundboards to prepare them for decorative painting. Two thin coats, applied with a rag, works great for this purpose. Second, harpsichords employ the extensive use of decorative papers. Five or six coats of SealCoat stiffens these papers while resulting in a pleasing sheen on them when lightly rubbed down with steel wool. As these papers are glued to the wooden casework, bleed through must be avoided so that the rear surface of the papers remain free of finish. I find that this is easily accomplished with SealCoat.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Until a year ago, we had a local Ace Hardware store, but it closed down and is now Harbor Freight. We literally have no other stores that would carry any finishing supplies, except for Sherwin Williams, and Lowes - neither of which carry SealCoat.

I'm still interested in knowing why SealCoat is so hard to find in local stores.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I think that SealCoat is a low volume, low turnover product on the shelves of many retailers. There's just not much demand for it. I used to get it at Lowe's but they've long since discontinued it. Rockler and Klingspor have it for less than $20/quart. There was an issue with the cans getting pinhole leaks from corrosion. I had a can leak that way on top of our freezer-a big mess!

How many quarts do you use on your harpsichords "once or twice a year"?

BSevier

New User
Bryan
ErnieM - I think the fact that you only use it one or twice a year is the perfect reason to use flakes. You can mix up only the amount you need and the shelf life of the flakes is quite a bit longer than the premixed Sealcoat. Plus, it's easier to ship - if needed.

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
Once the Covid 19 threat is gone, I will be pleased to host a finishing demo, using a professional finish, more durable than poly on shellac. The figure enhancement and clarity is also superb.

Only two coats, 45 minutes from start to finish including sanding and drying times.
Would it be possible for a Zoom type demo?

Dreuxgrad

Ed
Senior User
I think that SealCoat is a low volume, low turnover product on the shelves of many retailers. There's just not much demand for it. I used to get it at Lowe's but they've long since discontinued it. Rockler and Klingspor have it for less than $20/quart. There was an issue with the cans getting pinhole leaks from corrosion. I had a can leak that way on top of our freezer-a big mess!

How many quarts do you use on your harpsichords "once or twice a year"?
Second a leaking can, but Woodcraft replaced it at no cost.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Ernie, I can't say for sure, but I'd bet Mitchell's Hardware a few doors down from Morgan's in New Bern might carry it. If not, a trip to see is a good excuse to have lunch at Morgan's and stop at Precision Moulding. Let me know any time you want to make a trip there and Sandy doesn't want to go. (I didn't realize Zinsser is now owned by Rustoleum)

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
As far as the Why.... Probably Covid like most things, the supply chain for slowed and/or stopped so the ripples are flowing out. Depending on the industry a few weeks to a couple months things should be getting back to normal. Unless they are in one of the shutdown States.... then who knows.... I've seen it with ammo to washing machines.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
As far as the Why.... Probably Covid like most things, the supply chain for slowed and/or stopped so the ripples are flowing out. Depending on the industry a few weeks t

Lowe's hasn't had it for a few years-long before Covid!. But Klingspor and Rockler have had it for years.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
I like Seal Coat as well, but I have learned something the hard way regarding storing partially used cans of it. Two times now, my can of Seal Coat has decided to leak out of the can and cover everything below it, completely emptying the can before I return to my shop. I now keep my cans of Seal Coat in Ziplock bags, so if they decide to leak, they don't make a big mess in my shop paint cabinet. I love the stuff, but not when it's all over everything in my paint cabinet and the floor. I have never had any other finishing product do this. Only Seal Coat.

Charley

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS