Sctoll saw set-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
I think the task lights developed by Charlie are way cool!!...but I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age. Found this goose-neck clamp-on at Wal-Mart for $7.88 and replaced the bulb with a Cree 5 watt LED from the BORG (equivalent lumens out about the same as a 40 watt incandescent...400 lumens or so). It barely gets warm and no shadows. My shop floor is T&G yellow pine so I put furniture sliders on the leg bottoms to protect the floor. I only have three pieces of equipment I need to move around the shop and the others have casters. I was worried about vibration with the scroll saw, but it passes the nickel test this way. I actually epoxied threaded rods into the concrete pad under the floor to attach it more solidly, but found out with the Excaliber I don't need to use them. :BangHead:

I use a foot-switch, so once I have it fine tuned for the blade I don't need to touch the upper control.

Don

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Clamping the lamps there was a problem for me. I kept hitting them with my work pieces. That's the reason why I mounted them on the bracket that I made.

Having a light on each side of the blade will cancel the shadows and make it easier to see exactly where you are cutting. It will also reduce the stroboscopic flicker shadow that you get around the blade/work area from the moving saw arm above it. These two reasons were what prompted me to go to two lights, but my first attempt used drafting board scissor type halogen lights. They worked great, except I kept burning my forehead on them, and after working all day running the saw my hands would get Sun burned. The LED lights are the way to go, but you may be building a mounting bracket and buying another light before long. I don't think the extra brackets that I made for my DeWalt, will fit your saw, so I guess, when the time comes to ditch the clamp, you will be making your own mounting bracket.

Charley

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi Charley
Yep, I can see where clamping there will be an issue with larger work. I've been doing those little intarsia boxes lately hence the extra "zero clearance throat plate chunk of plywood" stuck on top of the table..really small pieces getting cut. I don't notice any strobe effect though...the moving arm on the Excaliber is pretty small. The light is bright enough that I can push it farther back somewhat...but sooner or later I'll need something like your arrangement.
Don

NCJim

Jim
User
A "Sctoll Saw" is just like a scroll saw except you pay a "Toll" every time you use it. LOL

Or maybe it was a typo??

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
We are great woodworkers, but not necessarily great at spelling or typing. It's usually easy to understand the "intent" of the OP, so unless the word spelling raises question of the intent, correcting or making an issue about it seems useless to me, but my English teacher gave up on me 60 years ago. ;)

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS