Scrolling Material

ste6168

New User
Mike
Hey guys. I don't scroll a lot, here and there. Occasionally, I don't "feel" like starting, or doing much, in the shop, but would love to just sit down at the scroll saw, listen to some music, and kill some time... The issue I find, is preparing the stock from rough lumber. Is there a source for scroll-saw-ready material? 1/8" 1/4" 1/2" thick stock, ready to be cut? I am sure it will cost more than rough, but the convenience would be worth it (I think).

Thanks!

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Both Lowes and Home Depot sell "hobby" wood. I have seen 1/4", 3/8" 1/2" pine , red oak and poplar of various widths. Very pricey if you calc the board foot cost. Klingspor and West Penn Hardwoods, both site sponsors, sell many other varies of thin wood on-line.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Besides thin hardwood stocks, Baltic birch is available from 1/8" and thicker, from Klingspors. For some applications, Baltic birch gives the strength needed for some fine fretwork. I don't usually sand beyond 180 grit when preparing my stock. For thin stock, 1/4" and smaller, I prefer stack cutting for a little more resistance against the blade.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Mike, Are you anywhere near the Cary Klingspor store? There's a Scrolling club that's been meeting there the first Sunday of the month from 2p to 4p. As a club member, you get 10% discount on scrolling materials including thin stock for scroll sawing. There's no cost to join!

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
There is 1/2 and 1/4 inch oak available at our Lowe’s. I buy most of my scrollsaw ready wood from Klingspor’s. I don’t know if there is a Klingspor’s near where you are located. I do hope you Join us on the first Sunday in April at the Cary store. You can also mail order scrollsaw ready boards. Ocooch Hardwoods. Richard Moore Custom Sawing. richardscraftwood.com.

JoeDavis

New User
Joe
Hey guys. I don't scroll a lot, here and there. Occasionally, I don't "feel" like starting, or doing much, in the shop, but would love to just sit down at the scroll saw, listen to some music, and kill some time... The issue I find, is preparing the stock from rough lumber. Is there a source for scroll-saw-ready material? 1/8" 1/4" 1/2" thick stock, ready to be cut? I am sure it will cost more than rough, but the convenience would be worth it (I think).

Thanks!
I use red oak, poplar, or pine from Lowes for most of my scrolling. For intarsia I spend some $$ for hardwoods here in Wilmington or just cut all my pieces from poplar and paint them with acrylics, depending on the project. I usually cut from the original 3/4" stock or in some cases like a few fretwork items I plane down to 1/2." I also use blonde plywood which is cheaper and I can complete several projects from a single 4x8 sheet (pic attached).

Attachments

• Angel.jpg
    Angel.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 207

ste6168

New User
Mike
Thanks all. Unfortunately, I am not close to Klingspor, I am in Morehead City, but see that they do some mail-order stuff online. Richards Craft wood looks like a good source, also, and he seems to have a lot of species available. I don't remember seeing the craft woods stuff at our Lowes, but I will take a look.

You guys all probably make much nicer stuff on the scroll saw than I. Mostly what I make is christmas ornaments with the kids, but just used it recently to cut out some numbers for an address plaque, and have done a few other things over time. I have often thought it would be nice to just print out a pattern and spend an hour relaxing. I also have a lathe that doesn't get much use, I have been thinking the same there, that I need to get into pen turning or something.

Posted a few pics of some of my "scrollsaw work". Anytime I have the opportunity to share a pic of my youngins, I will! I also made a BUNCH of these Weber grill ornaments and shipped them all over the country this past year, guys from a Weber group I am on loved them! A SteveGood pattern scrollsaw box I made for the lady of the house valentines day, last year. and lastly, a wedding cake topper I made for a friends wedding.

Thanks for all the info!

IMG_3185.jpgIMG_3170.jpgIMG_2871.jpgIMG_2926.jpgIMG_0571.jpgIMG_0572.jpgIMG_4044.jpgIMG_0816.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS