Scroll Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I am considering the purchase of an entry level scroll saw. I have narrowed down to two that I think fit my requirements, the Porter Cable 16" saw and the Rikon 16" saw. I don't have any knowledge of scroll saws and am asking for input. I know of blade types and tools required for changing them and I have heard something about vibration. Which would be best? I just want something around for general use, not fine fret worth, etc. :tool:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sorry but no experience with either of those saws. I have owned Dremel, Dewalt and Hawk scroll saw. I still own a Dewalt and Hawk. Hands down the Dewalt is the best all around of them all. I would not buy any saw that requires tools to change blades. I would also not use pin type blades.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Sorry wooduser but Like Scott I have no experience of the two you mentioned - I have owned a Dremel - which they have stopped making - and it served me well- I now use a DeWalt 788 Series 1 (USA) - It really depends on how much you want to spend - MHOP - If you get one of the ones that are on the low end in cost and performance and you want it just for general use - then you find out that you want to upgrade then you are going to have to spend more money to upgrade - then you might not be able to resale the low end machine for a price you think you should have out of it - Having two saws is not bad but with me the lower end one is just taking up space in my little shop - If you can wait and check CL to see if you can get a used one - not pushing the DeWalt but it has been a nice machine for me - I have heard that the Delta is basically the same machine and alot cheaper if you go the "new" machine route - JM2CW for what it is worth

cskipper

Cathy
I also have no experience with either you are considering. What do you want to cut with your scroll saw? If only REALLY simple things, I would agree with the above recommendations. I had a Delta which sold for several hundred dollars that served me well for number of years - until I found a Hegner on CL (on which I have found a second one for a steal). I definitely recommend avoiding saws which require pin-ended blades because they greatly restrict the types of things you can cut. I'd watch CL - probably will see a jump in the availability of saws due to unhappy recipients over Christmas.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I have used them both. The Porter Cable 16" to me is the better saw and you can use it to do some pretty fine fret work if you are careful. I liked the Porter Cable better because of the bigger light. I currently use a cheaper version than the one that is out now. As my older brother is prone to saw "you should buy the best tool that you can afford". I hope to upgrade to the dewalt 788 someday but for now I just buy the best blades I can buy and save a little change where I can.

Thanks Mark

scoobyJ

New User
SJ
Hello,

I have used Delta, DeWalt and Hawk. IMHO for a general use entry level scrollsaw I would recommend the Delta. It's very capable to do almost anything except fine fretwork. I still have the Delta and Hawk in my shop. The Delta was under 200 dollars and it was well worth the money. :thumbs_up

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I have owned the Dremel and an old Craftsman. I now own the Dewalt and love it. I also believe in buying the better tool to begin with. You will just be buying it later on anyway. If you do choose to buy the older one, be sure you can buy the blades and things you need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS