Scroll saw question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Lots of brands, looking for suggestions.

Is the Dewalt really worth the price?

Lots of used ones around mostly Dremel and Delta. Opinions?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Here is my opinion on it. Check for how the blade gets attached. I prefer toolless because I do a lot of fret work. See how the tension adjusts. I want to be able to easily reach it. If you buy a used saw especially turn it on and check for vibration, I would do this for a new one also. Finally, if this is to 'try scrolling' you might want to buy a used one first. Is the Dewalt worth the price? That's what I use! I would offer to let you try mine, but that's a long drive!

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
The low end $100-200 saws don't do a very good job. They are not balanced well, if at all, and the vibration from being unbalanced makes it very difficult to achieve a quality cut. The mid price ranged, like the DeWalt, the larger Delta, and Porter Cable saws are balanced, run very smooth, and are all considered to be good saws, although they cost about 2-3X as much as the cheaper saws. Of course, you can spend much more to get one of the high priced saws like Excaliber and gain a few more benefits. I have a Delta Q3 and a DeWalt saw and consider them both to be very good saws for the price. If you were closer I would let you come by and try them both out. Don't buy any saw that you can't try out first.

Charley

MagGeorge

New User
George
I don't have Dewalt saw but I used one before in work, it's the most used tool in the shop and it worked very well.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
The DeWalt is what I have. Got it for $250 on CL. I believe that it is at the just right point in price/performance. You can spend less and be disappointed or you can spend more and get some marginally better features. The sweet spot seems to be the DeWalt. We also have 2 of them on the Outreach Trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS