Scribeing built in bookcase - need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semmons23

New User
Steve
A buddy of mine wants me to build him built in bookcases on each side of his fireplace. Opening measures 59" so I plan to make it about 58" and scribe the stiles to match the wall before I attach them. Seems easy enough. The 12 inch deep bookcases will sit on top of a 24" deep cabinet. My concern deals with how to scribe the top of the cabinet to the walls since it won't fit between the walls while it's over sized. Should I install the cabinet without the top and make some type of pattern like granite people do or is there a better approach?

Is the some formula for how much smaller I should make the cabinet and bookcase than the opening?

Any advice would be greats

Thanks

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Make it fit as tight as you can and then add trim around the edges ;-)

The above is by far the simplest approach if you and the customer are fine with it. Otherwise you are on the right track, create a pattern out of some lightweight scrap plywood or masonite cut to fit the space, then scribe to the wall. Just remember when you go to assemble your templates that the scribing makes the top shallower and narrower, so add the proper offsets when you go to assemble them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS