Screwdriver handles

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
While this is nothing particularly challenging, it is something I’ve wanted to do for quite a while. With a toddler granddaughter my exposure to battery operated toys and devices has increased exponentially. Sitting at my desk, I’m often given a plastic gadget that needs a battery change. In the past, there were two bad choices for screwdrivers; either a full size screwdriver that won’t fit in the pencil drawer or a screwdriver tip holder gadget that never has the right tip. Now I have both a #2 and a #1 Phillips in my desk drawer.

I took a couple of blocks of wood, drilled a hole to fit the hex, mixed up some epoxy with sawdust, crammed down a medium driver tip and let things dry. Once dry, the block was driven with a drill chuck in the head stock and a tailstock backup. Finished length of both is about 2-3/8” long. The big diameter on the #2 Phillips is about 1-5/16” diameter. The little one is about an inch diameter. Overall length of the larger driver is 4-3/4”. The wood is some hard ebony-like species that I’ve had for a decade or two.

Now I’ll keep both of these screwdrivers in my desk pencil drawer and be ready for the next plastic gadget crisis. The diminutive size itself is sort of a torque limiter so I won’t strip out the plastic screws as easily as I can with a full size screwdriver.

1  screwwdriver - 1.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS