Screened in porch

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Good evening,
Are there any construction professionals that can help me? I have a 10' by 11' porch, slab foundation with a roof. I want to screen it in and use a screen fastrack system. The basic framing I get. What I don't know how to do is connect the 6x6 to the exterior wall that is clad with vinyl siding. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Mike

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Is the whole porch new or just the screening? (Sorry I can't tell from the question.)

Usually free-standing posts are a foot or more away from the existing house to make their independent footings work. Unless you can actually rest it on the house footing, but then there are complications with how to properly seat it after the fact. I like to make porch and deck structures independent of a house because they'll settle differently and you don't rip apart the house's cladding tying in to the structure. (Structure is easy, water resistance is tougher.)

If you can get the column/post close enough to the siding, you can use a trim board over the gap and scribe the exact profile of the siding onto the board before carefully cutting it to fit. That seems a little odd to trim wood and preserve vinyl, usually the less "precious" material is sacrificed for the better one. For wood siding, I'd recommend actually trimming the siding to slip the trim board behind so it's a simple straight cut that is more easily sealed. But vinyl won't stand that without ripping or mangling, so you'd have to profile the trim instead.

Or maybe I've completely misunderstood the question? A picture is worth a thousand words as they say in my business.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Good evening,
Are there any construction professionals that can help me? I have a 10' by 11' porch, slab foundation with a roof. I want to screen it in and use a screen fastrack system. The basic framing I get. What I don't know how to do is connect the 6x6 to the exterior wall that is clad with vinyl siding. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Mike

Remove siding in that area, install the 6x6 to the exterior and then reinstall siding against the new post.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS