SCORE - Tool Gloat - Grizzly G1023SL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdawson2

New User
Mike
I've been looking to replace my cheap, delta bench saw for quite some time. Each time I found a viable candidate via Craigslist I was beaten to the punch. So I then settled to buying new and had my heart set on the Grizzly G0715P Hybrid. The 3 HP variants were just too expensive for my occasional hobbyist use. But then I found out about a used Grizzly G1023SL thanks to a post on NCWW. It took about a week to get a hold of the gentlemen selling the saw and determine if it was worth the 80 mile drive. Well, I think it was! He told me that the saw came with all the original accessories as well as a mobile base for $600. He is planning on moving and doesn't want to try and move the saw. So today I made the trip to take a look and got an even better deal than I hoped for!

So here is the saw all taken apart, ready for a cleaning in my garage.
2013_03_16_IC8P1182_Web.jpg

The top needs a little work. Fill free to give me some advice on the best way to clean it up. I used some mineral spirits and a scotch brite pad, but there are still some spots. These are before pics.

2013_03_16_IC8P1183_Web.jpg

2013_03_16_IC8P1184_Web.jpg

As it turns out, the saw didn't have all the original accessories. He didn't have the original miter gauge. Instead I got these!

2013_03_16_IC8P1185_Web.jpg

2013_03_16_IC8P1187_Web.jpg

And he had a bunch of throat plates already made up and a couple of push sticks.

2013_03_16_IC8P1188_Web.jpg

While taking apart the saw I noticed the blade wasn't the original blade. Instead it was this!

2013_03_16_IC8P1190_Web.jpg

I also asked him about a dado set he was selling. Originally he told me it was a 6" so I wasn't really interested as I intend to use a sled and don't want to be too limited in depth. But while I was there I figured I would check it out. Turns out it was an 8"! I asked him how much he wanted for it, $25!!!

2013_03_16_IC8P1194_Web.jpg

So here she is after getting a little cleaning and some alignment.

2013_03_16_IC8P1193_Web.jpg

Needless to say I am EXTREMELY happy with my purchase! Now to get my 220V line installed so I can use it!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
For $600, you got an AWESOME deal. Congrats!!!

mdawson2

New User
Mike
Thanks everyone! I am really excited about finally getting a proper table saw to use! Now I better start making some stuff to justify my purchase!

Nice saw.

I use the Boeshield brand "Rust-Off" I use a straight razor to scrap the rust off then I use a scotch-brite type pad to scour the surface. I have even put the pad on my ROS.

Here is a shot before final buffing.

http://www.dreamshopwoodworks.com/images/tools/grizzly%20pl%206.jpg

I thought about using a ROS and I also have a DA. I used the straight razor with the mineral spirits which got a lot of it off, but knowing how "picky" I am about the stuff I own, I will have to take it a step further! Thanks for the advice and the picture of your table looks awesome!

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
About 6 months ago I bought a rusty topped 1023 and, after spending lots of time with scraping and other methods, I put 220 grit on the ROS and finished it to my satisfaction in just minutes. YMMV.

bobby g

mdawson2

New User
Mike
About 6 months ago I bought a rusty topped 1023 and, after spending lots of time with scraping and other methods, I put 220 grit on the ROS and finished it to my satisfaction in just minutes. YMMV.

bobby g
Wow, that looks great Bobby! ROS and sandpaper it is! Don't want to spend any more time on it than I have to! And BTW, very nice dual TS setup!!!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wow, that looks great Bobby! ROS and sandpaper it is! Don't want to spend any more time on it than I have to! And BTW, very nice dual TS setup!!!

+1 on the sandpaper (just not too aggressive with it - ie lower grits will result in plenty of scratches)

I just did mine as well. I used a combination of mineral spirits flooded on and then used 400Grit paper and a 3M maroon pad then Johnson's paste wax. Came out pretty good.

Congrats on the new saw! :icon_thum

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS