Sawstop startup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdjessup

New User
Brian Jessup
Went out to use my sawstop table saw this morning. First cut went fine with the lights going through the startup routine. Blade started and I made my cut. Moved the fence and got setup for another cut. Turned on the switch and the lights went through the same startup process. Pulled out the paddle and it just made a relay like sound and the red light is on solid with a fast blink green. I tried my dado stop block to see if it might be that but it does the same thing. Anyone have a sawstop and had starting problems ?

Looks like the breaker is tripping each time n the side of the switch box.

Last edited:

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I saw some other posts on the internet that there were some software updates to later machines. The solution was to increase the gap between the blade and the brake slightly. It may take several small adjustments. See if this helps.
Michael

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Check the manual - the diagnostic codes are listed there.

A question - do you normally turn off the power switch (not the paddle switch) between operations?

bdjessup

New User
Brian Jessup
Thanks Michael. I think my problem may not be too easy to fix without a call to sawstop and parts. Just went out and played with it again and the click I hear is the little breaker on the side of the switch box tripping. I reset it and tried to put the saw in override mode and after the blade starts it blows again. So sad....:confused: When this happens I think the green light is blinking fast not with a solid red. I'll have to call them Monday and see what they can do for me.

Last edited:

bdjessup

New User
Brian Jessup
No, I always turn off the paddle first to turn off the blade and the I turn off the switch as well before I put my fingers on or near the blade. I can't see very well because of a stroke and that's why I have that saw plus I am over protective because of my bad eyes.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The manual says red ON and green SLOW means you need to adjust the brake-to-blade distance.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Just read your last - does the blade spin freely (by hand)? Green FAST with red ON indicates "no blade rotation". Manual says check blade spins freely, thermal overload and check for broken belt.

bdjessup

New User
Brian Jessup
I'll try it Chris thanks. I think the green is blinking fast not slow when this happens. I'll go out and reset the clearance again but when I started out today it worked fine the first time then this problem happened with no change to the saw. Thanks again for your helpful comments. I'll go check it again.

bdjessup

New User
Brian Jessup
yes it spins free by hand and it's not touching anything and the blade starts when I try the override key but that breaker blows again. Must have fried something in the electronics.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I think something In the safety mounting must have moved. I just rechecked the blade clearance again with the yellow gauge and it's set correct at the top side of the stop but the bottom of the stop is 1/4 " away from the blade. The stop is not even with the blade for its length anymore.

Bingo. I've had this problem in the past. It's a quick correction usually and you'll be back and running. Just get that distance between the blade and the riving knife set right and I bet you'll be running again.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Well, after a call to sawstop, they are sending me a new motor. We will see.

Odds are good you have a perfectly fine motor with a bad starting capacitor, which would cause the motor to draw its full locked rotor amperage (FLA), which is more than enough to trip it's circuit breaker within a few seconds (more or less depending upon the characteristics of the circuit breaker they've employed).

So, if they are not asking for the motor back then you should either hold onto it or consider passing it on to someone who can make use of it, albeit with a note to inspect/replace the starting capacitor. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS