Sawstop Ordered, Options?

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I ordered a 3hp Industrial Sawstop this week and wondering if I've chosen the best options. Anyone that has a sawstop, please let me know if you have options that you think are valuable to you.

I ordered:
- 36" version (I have 52" PM-66 now and don't believe I need the 52" version)
- ICS mobile base - if you have this base are you happy with it? Do you move your saw very often?
- Dado insert / Dado Brake (no brainer)

I was going to order the router lift but the sales guy showed pictures of that option and there appears to be a gap in the table between the saw and the router table? Does anyone have the table and do you have the router lift as well? I am currently using a jessum lift but could sell that with my existing saw if the sawstop lift would be an equal or upgrade?

Let me know if there are other options you have that you think would be worthwhile.

Rick

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Did they tell you how long it will be for delivery?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I have a 36 inch PCS with the 1.75 hp motor. I've used it several years now. I like it a lot. The saw is sturdy and accurate - in addition to being more safe. I use a Colliflower throat plate. It is aluminum with a easily replaceable wooden insert. It can be used with dado blades. The wooden inserts are flimsy but work. It is initially more expensive but over time I think it is cheaper than using the SawStop plates.

I used a router table in the accessory table with a prior table saw and found that it was difficult to sequence my work so that the two functions did not interfere with each other. When I had the router table setup, I needed the table saw. Or vice versa. So I built a separate router table with home made lift and lift up top (for bit changes) and would not want to go backward to a setup in the table saw. If you are better at sequencing your work it could work for you.

You'll need a DC to extract the dust. I tried a shop vac initially and it was very ineffective (too much leakage from the cabinet, I believe). But with my 2hp HF I get good dust removal. I added a home made overarm collector too. Because it is the 1.75 hp my guard has no dust port. Some sort of overarm collector is sometimes useful. Without it you just get more dust on top. With it, there is still dust on top, just less. Biggest escapes were when the blade is not buried.

I did not buy a mobile base from SawStop. I wanted the top of the saw higher, 38 inches from the floor. So I built a mobile base and included drawers for storage on the right side. I do not move the saw often but I appreciate it being up where I do not to stoop over it and the storage in the drawers.

If you don't already have a good angle gauge for tilting the blade I would get one. The saw is accurate but the scale on tilt is kind of crude. The stock miter gauge is also pretty basic. I use an Osborne gauge.

Echd

C
User
I cannot speak to the Industrial but I ordered a PCS in April and received it 41 days later.

I purchased the 52" table; I'm ambivalent about it. The 36 would have been fine. But, for $100 more, it wasn't exactly breaking the bank so whatever. I did actually use the length to rip some OSB width-wise the other day but that was just because I was too lazy to go get my circular saw and edge guide (my preferred sheet cutting method)

The ICS base is absolutely excellent. If you move your saw even occasionally I do not think you will regret it. I hemmed and hawed due to the price but now I do not regret it one bit. It is just as solid as if it was on the floor but movement is trivial with just a few pumps of the pedal. You will be happy you spent the money here.

I also ordered the dado brake and insert. It is a given and it's not like you can do without it, so that is a necessary accessory.

I have not had the opportunity to use mine much but it is an excellent machine in my limited (so far) experience. I plan to really put it through its paces when the weather cools.

I agree with the above on both angle adjustment and miter gauges. I use a cheapo digital angle gauge like the wixey to double check my angles. The saw is indeed accurate or appears to be, but I like to have the digital readout. While the factory miter gauge is perfectly serviceable, I enjoy my Incra hd1000's added features and ease of minute adjustment and tuning. I could certainly get by with the factory one, though.

Last edited:

SBeaudrot

New User
Steve
I ordered a 3hp Industrial Sawstop this week and wondering if I've chosen the best options. Anyone that has a sawstop, please let me know if you have options that you think are valuable to you.

I ordered:
- 36" version (I have 52" PM-66 now and don't believe I need the 52" version)
- ICS mobile base - if you have this base are you happy with it? Do you move your saw very often?
- Dado insert / Dado Brake (no brainer)

I was going to order the router lift but the sales guy showed pictures of that option and there appears to be a gap in the table between the saw and the router table? Does anyone have the table and do you have the router lift as well? I am currently using a jessum lift but could sell that with my existing saw if the sawstop lift would be an equal or upgrade?

Let me know if there are other options you have that you think would be worthwhile.

Rick
Hey Rick, wish I can help, but Tuesday I order my Sawstop. I got the 3hp, 52 inch. My delta that I have had for 20 yrs has a 1.5 hp its ok but I am looking forward to the extra power when cutting slabs, 2 x etc. and dense hardwoods
think 3 hp will be great. best of luck

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member

I have one with my saw, and used it only once. it worked just fine that one time

blazeman45

Steve
Senior User
I have a 3hp PCS… I added the sliding table and would not trade it for the world… It is one of my favorite options I have ever bought.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Rick, I have had my SawStop for about 12 years (PCS 36", 3hp), and I have been very, very satisfied with its performance. When I purchased the saw I had a much smaller shop so I never considered the 52" option. That said, if I had it do over, even now with a larger shop, I would probably opt for the 36" . I would definitely get the mobile base...you seldom use it, but when you do need it you will be very happy that you have it. Congratulations on your purchase.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
I have the 3 HP Sawstop pro For about 10 years now. It is a great saw, but my mobile base broke twice. But I use it very often - about weekly as the saw is stored in an outbuilding and I roll It outside onto a concrete, covered patio Where I do all my sawing. The pedal mechanism has a pin which sheared off twice. The first time Sawstop replaced the pedal assembly for free. The second time, I had to buy it from them, but it was not expensive- about $25 as I recall. The Sawstop technician told me this is a common problem, but can be avoided by not stepping down hard on the pedal, but use only enough pressure to engage the pin which you can actually feel. So be careful with this. The pedal assembly is a real two-man pain in the arse to replace as the saw must be turned on it’s side. All in all I cannot complain for ten years of service. This is the only problem I have had with the saw, which is a very precise piece of machinery and well worth the $3k price tag. I blew the cartridge once; but fortunately not on flesh, but on a green (wet) piece of lumber. Stupid of me not to bypass the “stop” function. As soon as the cartridge blew, I knew exactly why, and slapped myself in the head. Congrats on your purchase- you will not be disappointed.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rick I have that exact saw and options. You do know that the dado blade uses a different brake cartridge so you need that as well as the insert. The only other option would be the out feed table but you can build that. If you are up at the lake stop over.

One more thing. Assembly does take two people.

Bill J

Bill
User
I am late to the party (as usual) but I have a PCS with the ICS mobile base and the dado setup. I do use the mobile base but not often. It is easy to use and moves well on a flat concrete floor. I marked the location of the saw so that I don't have to re-level.
It does take two people to assemble.

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
You've got the right stuff.

I just received and set up my 3HP PCS 36" w/ industrial base and I also bought the dado brake & insert. I was going to get the PCS mobile base, but ended up pulling the trigger on the ICS base and I am very happy that I did so.

For reference I ordered the saw on April 20 and it arrived June 8. I was told at the time I placed the order it could be 4-10 weeks.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I have a SawStop 36" PCS, 3hp, with an ICS mobile base. I did NOT want to muscle a full sheet on the saw, so I purchased a Makita corded track saw with all 3 different Makita tracks. IMO, better combo vs a 52".

My ICS mobile base had a leaking jack about 6 months into my ownership. Contacted SS, a few weeks before the 1 year warranty was up (was is a 1 year warranty back in 2020?)...they sent me a new hydraulic jack. SUPER easy to replace.

I had problems with my SS from day 1, it never worked, but since I didn't have 220 until a few weeks before the 1 year warranty was up, I never knew what issues the saw had.

In case you are curious. My original post:

I still haven't fully assembled the replacement saw, but I am hoping it works and keeps working, long after I am gone.

I have a total of 5 new brakes, from the ordeal with SS, 2 extra cast iron wings, 2 miter gauges, 2 push sticks, and a few other extras. One thing I wish they had done was send out a Dado brake and insert, but whatever. I'll buy those items when the time comes, but for now...I just want to get my saw fully assembled and enjoy it. :D

From what I've read on SS's site, it looks like they are now 2 year warranty? Did I read that right?

Regarding the router table. I do not have that in my extension wing, nor am I fully committed to adding one in the wing. I do like the idea of taking up less real estate with a router table in my wing, but how many options do we really have? Is a floor router table an option?

I know Harvey Woodworking has a new router table offering, but from what I read on Instagram, someone mentioned they had to do some grinding and drilling in the SS rails in order for it to be installed correctly. I guess the miter slots of the Harvey interfered with the SS rails? Harvey's router fence looks killer, but I think it only works with their table. :'( I love the micro adjust feature, but from what I can tell, WoodP3ckerz is the only other option that offers a "nicer" router table fence with micro adjust that doesn't hang off of your table, like the Incra.. which is another killer option. It takes up a good amount of real estate, but if you have it, I'd look into a stand alone router table from Incra along with their router table fence.

If you have the space, I would consider buying Harvey's router table top and their fence (because their fence looks incredible), then making your own router table??

I know it isn't the "best" setup, but I have the Triton TRA001, which has it's own lift built in. When time comes, I am planning on getting Incra's router table plate and their Clean Sweep inserts. From my research, it really helps with dust extraction, as long as you have proper dust collection..

I have 0 plans on using the miter gauge that came with the saw, so I ended up buying a Harvey miter gauge. Sure, it is pricey, but man.... is it a lovely piece of equipment. They always run sales, so wait until you see it really cheap.. $250 - $300? As I write this post, it is way overpriced at $379.

I am sure I can write some more, but it is Friday and it is a 3 day weekend for me!

Hope you enjoy your saw, when it arrives, and if you have any other questions... don't hesitate to ask us.

Rory

Fred J

Fred
User
I purchased a 36” 3hp Sawstop PCS with the ICS mobile base back on April 19, 2021. I purchased it from Oaktree Supply out of Indiana and it was delivered on April 29, 2021. Oaktree’s customer service was excellent and so far SS customer service has been excellent. Also no sales tax!
I have a WEN track saw for breaking down sheet goods and limited space so I never thought about the 52” PCS. I had enough trouble deciding between 30” and 36”.

My shop doubles as a working 2 car garage and stress relieving sanctuary. The mobile base has performed great so far and makes easy work of moving the saw. I’m glad I purchased the ICS base over the PCS base. It would have driven me crazy trying to move it around with the fixed wheel.

Sorry, I can’t comment on the router table as I have a separate router table. I can say the 3hp really cuts like butter but I need to purchase a better blade. I cut some plywood and 2x4’s for the neighbor with the stock blade. This is my first real cabinet saw as I had a Rigid job site saw for years. My wife was impressed with the saw as it wasn’t loud and it looks great.

Hopefully I’ll be making some more sawdust soon. I’m almost done piecing together my dust collector which is a must with this saw.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS