SawStop and DW735 Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
My wife gave me a SawStop for our anniversary. It's still in the box waiting for a determination as to whether we're going to be able to run a 240 volt circuit or whether I'm going to have to exchange it for a 120 volt model. (Any electrician recommendations for Cary?) Anyway, I've never seen one work in person. Does someone in or around Cary have one that I could get a 10-minute lesson on what it looks like and what to expect? Same question on a DW735 planer. I'll need to get one soon, and I've never used one or seen one in use. Thanks!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you go to the Klingspor store in Cary they will be happy to show both the saw and the planer and answer any questions you have.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
No experience with either tool but a comment on 220V. The difficulty will be determined by the path the wire has to take from the breaker box to the plug location. Crawl spaces are very nice for this, slabs are not good at all. Attics work fine, walls are better than slabs but involve drywall patching. An electrician can virtually always get a wire to where you want it, it is just a question of the time required and the cleanup afterwards. The wire size is determined by the current requirement and determines the breaker size. You need two spots open on the panel. Materials should be cheap, manpower will be the vast majority of the expense.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
RDL Electric - Bob specializes in residential electrical work and has put numerous 240V outlets in my shop in Cary as I expanded from 120V equipment to 240V units. I'd highly recommend him.

http://www.rdlelectric.com/

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
to run a 240 volt circuit or whether I'm going to have to exchange it for a 120 volt model. (Any electrician recommendations for Cary?)

Anderson Electrical does a ton of work for me on my rehabs and client properties. I'll DM you there contact info.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Congrats Mike. BTW, where are you going to put these pieces in your aforementioned cluttered garage? Ha, bet you'll make room for them!

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Congrats Mike. BTW, where are you going to put these pieces in your aforementioned cluttered garage? Ha, bet you'll make room for them!
Thanks. Yes, the only place for them to go is the garage. A few weeks ago, I had lumber racks installed above the garage doors. They're pretty high off the ground. At least I'll have a place to put long boards that I hopefully won't need to reach very often. The garage is actually about half as bad as it was when we moved in. There is still a lot of work to do. At least I now have the motivation to clean up and throw away.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I had quite a few phone chats with your wife, when we needed political intervention with the Federal Cemeteries Administrator, and later with the State. She is a keeper Mike! One super lady, who helped very, very much with the success of the Burial Urns For Veterans Project. Mike's wife is a Legislative Assistant to Representative Jay Adams, who represents the Hickory area. Please give our regards to your wife Mike.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I had quite a few phone chats with your wife, when we needed political intervention with the Federal Cemeteries Administrator, and later with the State. She is a keeper Mike! One super lady, who helped very, very much with the success of the Burial Urns For Veterans Project. Mike's wife is a Legislative Assistant to Representative Jay Adams, who represents the Hickory area. Please give our regards to your wife Mike.
Thanks, Bruce. Representative Adams, Susan, and I are big supporters of the urn project. I will pass along your regards.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Back to my original question, is there anyone in the area who would give me a quick SawStop introduction? I'm still intimidated by having to open the boxes and assembling the saw without ever having seen one powered up.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Back to my original question, is there anyone in the area who would give me a quick SawStop introduction? I'm still intimidated by having to open the boxes and assembling the saw without ever having seen one powered up.

Why wouldn't you go too Klingspore like Mike Davis suggested?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ditto to Hank.

I'm still intimidated by having to open the boxes and assembling the saw without ever having seen one powered up.

Well, you can't power it up until you put it together for heaven's sake! Assembly is not rocket science if you follow the detailed instructions (aka, the "idiot" sheet).

You could ask Klingspor to come to your place (for a fee), assemble it, and show you how to use it safely. :help:.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
You could ask Klingspor to come to your place (for a fee), assemble it, and show you how to use it safely. :help:.
All true. Or, if someone in the area has one set up and working, they could give me a ten minute demo. Is it the end of the world if no one offers? Of course not. However, there's no harm in asking.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Questions:

Are you willing to add the 220 circuit, even if you have to pay to do it?
Have you checked You Tube for assembly videos?

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Questions:

Are you willing to add the 220 circuit, even if you have to pay to do it?
Have you checked You Tube for assembly videos?
It turns out that I have to add a new circuit for 120 or 240. So, yes, the new (240) will be installed next week.

I haven't looked for an assembly video on YouTube, but I will. If I can make it over to Klingspor in the next few days, I'll talk with them over there, too.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have assembled two. One is mine and one for a friend. It is a two man job and expect it to take 2-3 hours. The directions and the way the parts are packaged are great.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
My wife gave me a SawStop for our anniversary. It's still in the box waiting for a determination as to whether we're going to be able to run a 240 volt circuit or whether I'm going to have to exchange it for a 120 volt model. (Any electrician recommendations for Cary?) Anyway, I've never seen one work in person. Does someone in or around Cary have one that I could get a 10-minute lesson on what it looks like and what to expect? Same question on a DW735 planer. I'll need to get one soon, and I've never used one or seen one in use. Thanks!

I am not in Cary but if you want to see a DW735 in action, I use mine a bunch.

planer_knives_mar_2018_2_.JPG

I don't have a dust system. I just shoot the chips right out the door. My planer is kept on a roll around cart and it is out of the way when not in use.

1-18_apr_2017_011.JPG

I have written a couple threads on the common repairs needed on the planer but they fade away with time.​

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I am not in Cary but if you want to see a DW735 in action, I use mine a bunch.
Thanks, Dan. We need to talk about some other things. I still want to take you up on some private lessons, if you're still offering them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS