sawhorse design (or perhaps over-designed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
For the past 7 years or so, I've been using a set of adjustable-height sawhorses from Shop Notes magazine. I have a small shop, so the fact that they break down to save space was very attractive when I selected the design. The adjustable height feature allows me to use them as in/out-feed support on the table saw, router table and bandsaw...all of which are different heights. I frequently throw a board over them for assembly and finishing as well. I never use them for sawing, though.

But they have a few downsides. First, it takes several minutes to remove the legs. I need to do this frequently because when I'm not using them for some other purpose, they sit behind the table saw as out-feed support. Because of the design, then can't sit as close together as I need them without removing the legs (note that they are usable in that capacity without the legs). Second, they are built out of 2x6s and while they are pretty sturdy, they are very heavy and unwieldy. Finally, the height adjustment mechanism isn't as secure as I'd like. On occasion, one of the pair has suddenly adjusted itself to a much lower height. I could remedy that last problem easily enough, but the other 2 are not easily fixed.

So anyway, I've had this design bouncing around in my head for a while for a folding design that would stow away in seconds, but still be very sturdy and adjustable height. I've been looking for excuses to not start my next large project and this seemed to fit the bill :>

So here they are. When folded, they are 3" deep and 24" wide. It takes less than 5 seconds to fold or unfold them...a few seconds more if the top is extended. They are very light - grabbing both under one arm is no problem. They are strong enough for my 170 lbs to jump up and down on one without any detectable give. Mine were built from oak, which I suppose contributes to the strength, but I think the design would be nearly as strong if made with from a lighter pine, poplar or even birch plywood. Other than screws, the only hardware required was some 1/4 aluminum dowel and (4) 3" door hinges ($2.50 each at the BORG, IIRC).

sawhorses.jpg

The construction is a bit complex (for sawhorses) and these are designed to satisfy my very specific set of requirements. But if anyone is interested in details, let me know, I can probably pull together some of the in-progress pictures and design notes.

Glennbear

Glenn
Great design !!! :icon_thum I have seen "foldable" sawhorses in several mags but your design seems a lot easier to use. I like the holes cut for weight reduction which do not reduce strength. :wsmile:

Michael S.

New User
Mike
Great job! I would love to see the details of your design! Space in the shop is always at a premium, and at only 3" deep, I think I could really use a couple of these...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS