Sawdust Collection For My Sawmill

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Hi All, I am wondering about putting a dust collection system on my sawmill. I want to put a cable between the front post of my mill building (You can go to my web site using the link below to see.) to have pullies on to hold the hose up, so that it would gather and extend the length of the mill. I know it will help in cleanup, but is there any other justification for doing so?? Can I sell the sawdust?? If so, who too? Also, I need advise on what kind of dust collection system works and which ones don't. I do plan on keeping this as low budget as possible, yet look good and work good too. Any help would be GREAT!!!

Glennbear

Glenn
I do not have much to offer except that I would think with the mill producing sawdust that has a MC that far exceeds the wood used inside shops the normal parameters would not apply. I know when I band saw green wood in the shop the dust is much heavier. :wsmile:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
DUH!!!!!!!
I love when the brain refuses to kick in. (I must it happens to me so often)
I was wondering why anyone would have a sawdust collection.... Even a sawmill. Wouldn't just some nice wood make a good display.:tongue2: Maybe I need to go back to bed for a bit.

Glennbear

Glenn
DUH!!!!!!!
I was wondering why anyone would have a sawdust collection.... Even a sawmill. Wouldn't just some nice wood make a good display.:tongue2: Maybe I need to go back to bed for a bit.

Methinks someone has spent far too much time out in this heat. :gar-La; (BTDT)

reprosser

New User
Rick
DUH!!!!!!!

That was my first thought as well...:embaresse

...must be the heat :kamahlitua nice nap would surely do me good.:eusa_thin

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
This is not ment to be dust collection, as much as dust containment. If the mill isn't spewing it all over the place, I don't have to clean it up,... with a shovel. Duh!!! Yeah ya'll been in the heat too long. :tinysmile_cry_t:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
the trolley system for the hose should be fine but you will need a quite large blower. dust from the mill is wet and heavy so some serious suction is going to be needed. 8" hose would be better IMO and there would be no need for collection bags. you could blow it directly into a truck bed or trailer. so long as it is not walnut you can sometimes sell the sawdust to horse farms for bedding. You will never get it all but with some good ol ingenuity you could get most of it.:thumbs_up

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I've noticed down at Ivey's place that his mill has a sort of a "nozzle" on the dust chute. The sawdust winds up in a line following the mill. If yours deposits it similarly, you could possibly catch it in a trough and suck it out into a container?

Go over on Forestry Forum. I'll bet some of those old boys over there have some ideas and some solutions!:wsmile:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
OK, Randy,:icon_thum here's one answer from a fellow sawyer:

I have a WM LT30 that goes mobile. When I'm at home, I have a 4" flex tube running to a dust collector which blows it into a large "Super sack" These supersacks are large bags that my wife gets from work. These are used to ship many different materials such as seeds, grain, etc. then they're thrown away. I have a couple of them and when one gets full, I load it into my truck and take it over to a local horse stables.

And, here's another one:

we have a 20' conveyor laying on the dischage side of the mill, outside the building a cross conveyor goes up an incline into a pile.

FYI, both of these guys are in Wisconsin.
:wsmile:

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I have a WM LT30 that goes mobile. When I'm at home, I have a 4" flex tube running to a dust collector which blows it into a large "Super sack" These supersacks are large bags that my wife gets from work. These are used to ship many different materials such as seeds, grain, etc. then they're thrown away. I have a couple of them and when one gets full, I load it into my truck and take it over to a local horse stables.

Randy, if you need a couple of these let me know. I sell these for a company that makes them.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Here's the way another guy is handling it:

3 HP blower mounted above mill, 4" plastic flex hose off chute on mill. 4" PVC drain pipe blowing dust from blower about 50' from mill shed.

He's in Mississippi.
:wsmile:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Randy, if you'll go over to Forestry Forum and then to Processing and Drying, you can see my post there AND see pics of how Pineywoods handles it at his mill! Pretty slick! :wsmile:

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Thanks Jackleg, and everybody else. I'm gonna do it soon and we'll see if it's worth the cost or not. I found one with 1550 cfm that should be enough to pull the dust 30' shouldn't it? When it would be pulling it that far, the hose would be nearly straight, therefore not needing anymore than the 1550 cfm mentioned above, right?

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
:D Hi all, I just bought a dust collection system. It's 1550cfm 2hp. I don't think I'm gonna use it like it is,... I'm going to use it to blow the dust into a 55gal drum at the far end of the mill from the operator. 8)

IMG00388-20100628-1449.jpg

IMG00394-20100628-1753.jpg

IMG00393-20100628-1753.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS