Sawbuck Chair

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Has anyone veer built a copy of a Wenger sawbuck chair? I'd love to see some dimensions and pictures of the joints.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I guess there were two styles: dining and lounge chair.

Angled mortise & tenon joints I think.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I haven't found many specifics about making the "sawbuck" chairs. Here's a short video of the D28 lounge chair. The arm to leg joint looks like a saddle joint with a Sam Maloof appearance.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Over on Woodcentral, Derek Cohen had made a Wegner chair with a pictorial of his doing so. Not quite the same style, but full of helpful insight.

Roy G

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Thanks, all. I am looking at the one noted as CH29. The joint in question is the back leg mortise into the front leg. I wanted to see the tenon angle in relation to the front leg.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks, all. I am looking at the one noted as CH29. The joint in question is the back leg mortise into the front leg. I wanted to see the tenon angle in relation to the front leg.
Context - I have never built a chair, but aspire to.
Wouldn't a loose tenon (or traditional M&T) perpendicular to the mating surface(s) be what would be used?
If I built it, that would be my inclination. I know if you are asking for the plans or are asking about the details of this joint you can't answer that, but that is what I would expect there.
Love those chairs.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I've been playing around with this chair design in SketchUp and going by the seat of my pants. A short video and a lot of guess work.

The OP was wanting information about the angle of the back leg tenon to the front leg mortise. The back leg is angled, not the tenon but it may appear that it's an angled tenon.

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 3.27.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 3.57.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.01.29 AM.png

Rickswan

New User
Rick
Has anyone veer built a copy of a Wenger sawbuck chair? I'd love to see some dimensions and pictures of the joints.
I started creating a slightly larger version of the CH29 a few years ago but got bogged down trying to turn it into a folding chair. I built a prototype, templates for the back legs and stretcher, a form to laminate the curved back, a router jig for the tapered legs, etc. In the end I just couldn’t get enough strength in the folding joints to make it work without destroying the beauty of the chair. Curious how your project turned out.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I guessed at most of the angles. The back slat is steam bent on the same fixture used for Boggs chairs. This is not nearly as comfortable as a Boggs chair but takes less time to build. Not a great picture.

Attachments

• 0CF77A72-8A25-4D8C-9F03-CB031CC8CE2C.jpeg
    0CF77A72-8A25-4D8C-9F03-CB031CC8CE2C.jpeg
    922.4 KB · Views: 61

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS