Saw the Thomas Day exhibit today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
This afternoon I visited the NC Museum of History and saw the Day exhibit. He was quite a woodworker who used mostly maghogany veneer over poplar and pine. He also used walnut on occasion but mahogany veneer seemed to be his mainstay.. It's amazing what he could do with hand tools. They have copies of some of his bills of sale which were very interesting. I remember a walnut baby crib for $4 and an ornately carved sofa for $35. Wonder what those 1850s prices would be in 2010 dollars. He made many, many pieces of furniture for Governor David Reid of Rockingham Co. He seemed to be one of the biggest, if not his biggest customer. It was a great way to spend a couple of hours on a lazy Saturday afternoon. I recommend it.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
I'll have to go check that out. I saw it a few years back when it cycled through at that time but it looks like they added some nicer pieces.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
$1 in 1850 would buy about 23 times what a dollar will buy today.

$4 x 23 = $92 for the crib

$35 x 23 = $805 for the sofa

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Sounds awesome. I think Christy and I are going to see it next weekend. :widea: It was either that museum or the art museum, I can't remember. :icon_scra Either way, we'll be checking it out soon. :icon_thum

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thanks for sharing your experience Stuart. Last week I heard an interview with a woman who co-wrote a book on Thomas Day and going over to Raleigh to see this exhibit is on my to do list.

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS