Saw Table Discoloration

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm still in the trying-to-keep-it-looking-new phase with my SawStop, but I'm losing the battle quickly. Last night, I set a board on one of the cast iron wings. That board, unbeknownst to me, had some wet glue on it. A few minutes later, when I picked up the board, I was unpleasantly surprised to see this discoloration in the top. Keep in mind that this discoloration is what remains after I tried cleaning it with Bar Keeper's Friend, Brasso, and 409. While I'm sure the table will become further discolored over time, I sure don't understand how yellow glue can cause such an unsightly appearance on a cast iron table top. Didn't SawStop know that the saw was likely to be used around wood glue? :) (Ignore the light reflection at the bottom of the photo.)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpg
    IMG_2406.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 559

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I'd try some 000 steel wool and WD-40 to get that off. Then treat the top with CRC 3-36 as needed. I use CRC 3-36 on everything cast iron in my shop and have zero rust.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Cast Iron oxidizes very quickly with the slightest moisture. It must be chemically protected with oil or wax.

Be sure NOT to use silicone because it will attach to wood fibers and make any attempt at finishing horrible.
Many automotive waxes and some furniture paste waxes contain silicone.

But, I am reminded of my art supplier when I complained about the paint cracking and peeling on some very expensive paint brushes. His reply was; Are you gonna use it or look at it?

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
File it under stuff happens. Had a similar experience when my Saw Stop was new. Mine was caused by daughter's idiot boy friend working on his r/c car. Spilled something. Thankfully she finally dumped him. The stain is still there but it cuts fine.

Last edited:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know it's like a new car, but at the end of the day it's a tool to be used and not a fine piece of art. Treat it as such, use it, but don't abuse it.:gar-Bi

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I know it's like a new car, but at the end of the day it's a tool to be used and not a fine piece of art. Treat it as such, use it, but don't abuse it.:gar-Bi
But it costs as much as a fine piece of art...

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I'd try some 000 steel wool and WD-40 to get that off. Then treat the top with CRC 3-36 as needed. I use CRC 3-36 on everything cast iron in my shop and have zero rust.
I'll try that. By the way, I neglected to mention that it WAS treated with CRC 3-36. I spray some on every day or two and wipe it down. Maybe the WD40 will help.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Oh, one other thing. Cast Iron is porous so rubbing the surface will not remove stains. You have to dissolve the rust with a mild acid like vinegar. Then neutralize the acid with baking soda. Then treat with oil or wax.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
Oh, one other thing. Cast Iron is porous so rubbing the surface will not remove stains. You have to dissolve the rust with a mild acid like vinegar. Then neutralize the acid with baking soda. Then treat with oil or wax.
Is this discoloration actually rust? What vinegar? Rub it on? Let it soak? Thanks.

tdukes

New User
Eddie
I think glue is worse than sweat. You can wipe off both as they happen but I think glue must be more corrosive.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Applied in what fashion?

I did the same thing ... only worse, to my SawStop when I had it.

I use the Boeshield RustFree ... just spray it on then lightly scrub it. After sitting a short time (few minutes), I wipe it off and then put T9 and Renaissance Microcrystalline wax on it. I was able to keep my table very clean even with my mistakes (glue, wet lumber, etc)

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I did the same thing ... only worse, to my SawStop when I had it.

I use the Boeshield RustFree ... just spray it on then lightly scrub it. After sitting a short time (few minutes), I wipe it off and then put T9 and Renaissance Microcrystalline wax on it. I was able to keep my table very clean even with my mistakes (glue, wet lumber, etc)
Did it remove the glue stains or just prevent new ones?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I think all table saws should come with a factory installed beer can ring mark. Then the mystery of when it's going to happen will be over. Did you buy the saw to worship, or to work? When I taught school, principal came in to do an observation. She sat a coffee cup on TS. One student got trash can, and another told her not to ever set a drink on our TS again. That really firmed up my relationship with her. Yeah, right!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS