Saw Stop trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

thsb

New User
Tim
My 81 mom and dad have stayed with me most of the last 12 weeks and will be here 5 more as my dad gets cancer treatment at Duke. Today I was in the shop working on making drawers (my first effort at drawers). I was cutting an inch off of a few pieces because i had figure the dimensions wrong. The last time i was in the shop i had taken off the kickback guard because of the big piece i was putting through the saw. Dad came in the watch me work, as he isn't really a woodworker or handyman.

I think he must have seen me do a dangerous move getting the cut pieces out of the way, but the next thing I knew i saw his hand at the blade trying to get the small pieces left from the cut. The saw stop engaged and thank God it worked. he only had a very light cut. I can't tell you how freaked out i was that this happened. He doesn't know woodworking, his brain is probably a little impacted by the cancer treatment, and he is impulsive like me. I just couldn't get the thought of him cutting his fingers off because i hadn't done a proper job warning him (like i do my kids). been kind of shaky all day since it happened.

It is easy to make statements about how ignorant he was in doing what he was doing but that is not that helpful. I am just glad that the saw stop worked and that i had bought it. I always imagined if it was engaged it would be to save my kids fingers but glad it was able to do it for my dad.

It is a very strange experience when i worry about my parents the way i worry about my kids-he is still very sharp in a lot of ways but the strength and smarts that i took for granted all my life with him now seem more tenuous. I guess that is the cycle of life and my kids will be seeing me that way before i know it.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Tim, I am sorry about the circumstances associated with this incident, but I am delighted that the saw worked as it was designed. I bought a SawStop several years ago in anticipation that my grandchildren may one day want to work with me in the shop. While the saw was more expensive than comparable models, I could not shake the thought of something happening to them that could have been avoided for a few more dollars. I hope all goes well with the cancer treatments!

JGregJ

New User
Greg
Thanks for sharing the experience, I'm considering a new table saw hearing testimonials on the SawStop help me understand the value of their products. Also hoping your father has a successful treatment.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you for sharing Tim - just think how little the Saw Stop cost now as compared to a trip to the hospital for your Father! (and how different your day would have been today!)
Best wishes for your Dad's treatments!

thsb

New User
Tim
i think the safety of the Saw Stop is worth the money, obviously. However, i think i probably get too comfortable at times because of the safety feature. For instance, i should have put the blade guard back on after i did the job that required it to be removed. i usually do but didn't this time. so i would recommend it but also recommend keeping a healthy fear/caution at all times.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I just brought home the job site SawStop. It is a perfect size for what I like to do. I have been scared of my old saw after a couple of near misses. It was stories like this that made this choice easy.

Kent Adams

New User
Kent Adams
Every time I turn on my non-sawstop TS, I look forward to turning it off :) Glad your father is fine. The sound of that brake going off must have caused quite a fright. I probably would have jumped out of my skin.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
i think the safety of the Saw Stop is worth the money, obviously. However, i think i probably get too comfortable at times because of the safety feature. For instance, i should have put the blade guard back on after i did the job that required it to be removed. i usually do but didn't this time. so i would recommend it but also recommend keeping a healthy fear/caution at all times.
I guess anyone can become complacent / too comfortable around power tools, but this is a GREAT commercial for the product. You may not be able to stop someone from coming in the shop to "help" and this technology eliminates accidents!

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Every time I turn on my non-sawstop TS, I look forward to turning it off

Amen. I hate mine and so I use it only when absolutely necessary. If I ever buy another table saw it will be a SawStop. Thank goodness no one was severely injured.

20151225_170320.jpg

These don't scare me nearly as much as my table saw does.....

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Amen. I hate mine and so I use it only when absolutely necessary. If I ever buy another table saw it will be a SawStop. Thank goodness no one was severely injured.

View attachment 18330
These don't scare me nearly as much as my table saw does.....

Many of you wont like this comment but I feel I must chime in here. This is just MY feelings about this. If youre afraid of your TS without sawstop technology, (dont confuse fear with respect here please) you shouldnt own either. Tablesaws, whether sawstop or not, can be dangerous, but become far more dangerous when coupled with operator fear , anxiety and timidness. Thinking for a moment sawstop technology as an end all to this is the answer is a sad state to work in. There is no room in the equation when ripping stock on a tablesaw to be tentative with your actions, it can lead to binding, kickback and far worse when it stems from fear.

Relying on technology can create complacency and that too is dangerous since we all know technology can and will fail.

Personally, I respect my tablesaw for what it is and know its perils and what can cause me problems. So I mitigate those perils when I know I can. Alignment, sharp and clean blades, push sticks and featherboards just to name a few. I also believe underpowered saws can be dangerous as well, binding and stalling blades and related kickback.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Tim, since this was an actual "Flesh Sensing Event" don't forget to send your cartridge into Saw Stop. They want them to analyze the performance of the brake and will send you a new cartridge for your trouble. At least that used to be true and I'm assuming that it still is.

Glad it worked and good luck.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Many of you wont like this comment but I feel I must chime in here. This is just MY feelings about this. If youre afraid of your TS without sawstop technology, (dont confuse fear with respect here please) you shouldnt own either. Tablesaws, whether sawstop or not, can be dangerous, but become far more dangerous when coupled with operator fear , anxiety and timidness. Thinking for a moment sawstop technology as an end all to this is the answer is a sad state to work in. There is no room in the equation when ripping stock on a tablesaw to be tentative with your actions, it can lead to binding, kickback and far worse when it stems from fear.

Relying on technology can create complacency and that too is dangerous since we all know technology can and will fail.

Personally, I respect my tablesaw for what it is and know its perils and what can cause me problems. So I mitigate those perils when I know I can. Alignment, sharp and clean blades, push sticks and featherboards just to name a few. I also believe underpowered saws can be dangerous as well, binding and stalling blades and related kickback.

Um..I'm assuming this was directed at me? Never did I say I was scared of my TS. I simply said I was less afraid of my hand saws. That's completely different. I grew up farming and have been around tools/ machinery my entire life. I have never suffered any serious injury due to any machinery because I do have respect for the tool I'm using. I also know the safety rules and capabilities for all equipment that I own.

We all make mistakes and if tech can prevent a serious injury then I'm all for it.

It's been my experience that a little fear is a good thing. It tends to keep you focused on the task at hand.

thsb

New User
Tim
a little postscript: though my dad seemed coherent and fine this weekend, he became totally disoriented yesterday and had to be hospitalized. should recover fine, as it is related to an infection. but it may help explain his odd behavior around the saw-looking back there were a couple other small signs that might have indicated he was not thinking great but later that same night we played cards and shot pool (and he won) so it wasn't that obvious.

FlyingRon

Ron
I'm glad he's OK.

Yeah, a lifetime of woodworking I see most of the saw blade contacts not from inherently unsafe to me but some momentary lapse usually coupled with a kickback event which can bring your hand to the blade really quickly. I'm happy I have my sawstop and hope it never has to fire.

My worst cuts in woodworking have been with the darned blade on my old delta while it was STOPPED...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS